Monday, December 31, 2018

♫ ♫ One of these ends is not like the other ♫ ♫

I barely squeaked this last top in under the wire - the last finish (well, semi-finish anyway) (a top's close enough to a finish, right?) of 2018.


Yay for Checkerboard Rails - a Bonnie Hunter leader/ender challenge from last year.  (Or possibly the year before.  I've lost track...)
In my zeal to get it done, I made things a bit more complicated for myself than necessary, however.
Here's a look at the top of the quilt -



and a look at the bottom.


That's where the "one of these ends" song comes from.  Somehow I'd extended the checkerboard section at one end, but didn't match it at the other.  (That's what I get for setting projects aside for months at a time, without leaving notes for myself.)  (Note to self:  leave notes to self)

By the time I realized what I'd done, I was too far along in piecing those whacky side triangles for this on point setting and I wasn't going back.

I left the corners for last, because I knew there were problems coming up.





Yep.  Every corner is different.  I had to resolve them one at a time.  There might have been some cursing involved.

Frankly with all those monstrous bias edges, I'm just happy the quilt turned out to be a shape that I didn't have to look up the name in a geometry book.  (Geometry was my favorite subject, but it's been several decades since I had to remember what a rhombus looks like.)

With that quiet little border added, it measures 52"x60", so a nice little lap size.  I'm happy with it.

So, happy quilt for a happy new year!  Best wishes to all!

15 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I love the mis-matchy corners! It looks AMAZE-BALLS!!!!

Julierose said...

Now I like that the corners are all different--beautiful quilt flimsy...hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

Ok, go ahead and call me Thick and slap a sticker to my forehead that says SLOW but I don't get it. What's with the top and bottom problem? On top, the next checkerboard should be going to the right but we don't see the black and white squares to the right of the last one. At the bottom, the checkerboard should be going to the left and we don't see the black and whites squares on the left of the last one. There are 6 B/W on top and there are 6 B/W at the bottom. I am missing something, am I not? Maybe you can send me a drawing in the SLOW mail for my comprehension is not present tonight. What I do see though, is a WONDERFUL cheerful quilt. Congratulations for squeezing this one in. Enjoy! ;^)

Quilting Babcia said...

I've seen quite a few antique quilts with corners unmatched, nobody cared then and neither should we! It's an amazing top, I love it! Happy New Year!

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely finish!! It's so easy to be distracted and with all the chequerboard and strips it's not surprising.

Dorothy said...

It is fabulous. It's a scrap quilt, right? Are they suppose to have matching corners ????
I love it !!

MissPat said...

You do know that if you hadn't told us, none of us would have noticed. It is just a clever design decision. And a scrappily gorgeous quilt.
Happy New Year.
Pat

Sally Trude said...

It's really quite wonderful. And what's interesting is that all of its faults are in your head and not on the quilt. Happy New Year!

Cathy said...

I don't see any problem even after you tried to point it out. I think how it ended up is how it was supposed to be...lovely and lively.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You had me laughing at your note to self to write notes to self. That is so me. Every time I pick up a quilt or even parts and pieces, I curse myself for not having written a note. I didn't notice the problem in your pictures but I am glad you worked it out.

Kate said...

A beautiful finish. With all the lines in the quilt, I don't think the different corners really stick out. It looks great. Congrats on getting in one list finish before the end of the year.

QuiltGranma said...

I think I have a rhombus quilt, and have been debating on taking off that extra long border, cutting it to correct length, and easing in the difference! IF you had not told me, I would not have been able to figure out what you were talking about with your checkerboards. It is OK, not to fuss over, but my RHOMBUS! has really been nagging at me. Your quilt is beautiful!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love love love this one Gayle.

Cathy said...

And where is it written that the corners (four in this case, LOL) all have to be the same?? It’s an awesome quilt because of that variety. I’d give it an 11 out of 10! With matching corners, it would only have been 10/10.

kmkat said...

omg, I love that quilt. Long ago I bought the fabric for -- but never made -- a NASCAR comforter cover for Younger Son, plus some tapesty-ish fabric for a pillow cover that had black and white checked bits here and there. Your quilt reminds me of that never-done project, but in a good way.