Wednesday, January 2, 2019

New year, new RSC project

I treated myself to a book for Christmas -


because I had fallen in love with this quilt.


(Well, actually I love all the quilts in the book and I expect I'll be making at least a few of them.)  (At least.)

But for now, I'm in love with Sand Castles.  It hits all the high points for me -
1. String piecing.  I've been wanting to do a string-pieced project for quite a while now, and this one looks like a good way to get my feet wet.
2.  Four-patches.  I've been making four-patches for leader/enders for years and have buckets of them on hand.  Always looking for a fun way to use four-patches!
3.  The individual blocks are a perfect venue for RSC colors.  The four-patches are random, but the squares and triangles to set them with are a perfect fit for the color of the month.
4.  Gabillions of itty bitty pieces to sew together.  That's gotta be my favorite thing ever!

Let's take this little beauty for a test drive.
I string pieced a couple of squares


and sliced them diagonally.


And, as usual, I was irked by how much waste there is in this method.  All those raggedy edges being sliced off and tossed because they're too small to be useful.  (I've whined about discussed this issue before.)  If only there was a better way, where all those square-ended strips could be efficiently utilized.

And then I had a thought.  What if?


and I lined up what I had so far and grabbed my trusty ruler.


And then I cut a long narrow strip of paper and started piecing.


I cut off a triangle and compared it to one of the half-squares that I'd made earlier.


Looks like a match to me!


So, off I go with my happy little strings.  I can still make the regular squares when I've got some too-short strings to use for this strip method, but this way pleases my mingy little heart.  If I end up with a seam in an awkward place, a little corrective surgery (cut here, add there) will soon set me on my way again.

And now since I had a few stringy triangles done and some four-patches near at hand, how could I help but make a test block?


Yes, of course it's orange.

I just checked Angela's blog and the color for January is red.  Thanks to Good Fortune, I've got a bunch of red strips right here handy on the cutting table.  I'm going to kit up some red blocks and see how many I can get put together by the end of the month.

Speaking of Good Fortune, Bonnie dropped another clue on New Year's Day.   I ran to the sewing machine and stitched a few up.


I tried laying out some of the bits we've made so far, but I couldn't get a sense of where we're going with this.


 (And I didn't even get any of those crazy clue#5 quarter-square units into the mix.)



I'm just baffled, I tell ya.  So many pieces in so many sizes.
Baffled.


26 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

That orange just makes me smile, a LOT! Love, love, love orange in a quilt! I may just need to invest in Bonnie's new book with all the stringiness going on in blogland this new year.

Libby in TN said...

I dig you string method! I, too, hate the waste. I wonder, could you just stitch onto a roll of toilet paper ....

Cathy said...

I love how you are using your string triangles. Hugs

Kathy S. said...

Love your Sand Castles block! I too have a zillion four patches that I have been using for leader/enders and another projects for about two years. I LOVE strings. I am keeping a bin of neutral strings near the sewing machine. That is one of my RSC project plans for 2019 as well. Woohoo!

I love it how Bonnie keeps us guessing up until the last minute on her mysteries. I'm thinking the 3.5" units are in the border. I also think some of the pinwheels are going to end up in the border. There's a chance we'll have to cut our neutral strings? Can't wait... But I have more sewing to do on Clue #7 until then. Happy new year!

Marly said...

Happy 2019! You're all set for a fun year making string triangles! I like your string piecing method for the triangles. Clever girl, Gayle, thinking that up! I'm way behind with the numbers of Good Fortune pieces, but made some more clue one patches today, so I have something to put into clue seven. It's such a mystery!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh, that is so smart! I admit to feeling a twinge of *something* when throwing out those trimmed ends from string blocks, but never found an answer. That's going to be a beautiful quilt!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I'm dizzy from all those wonderful scrappy pieces!

Sally Trude said...

Wow! With your colors for the quilt you make it very enticing. As for the building block placement for Good Fortune, Buddy and Molly recommend that you should attack the puzzle more forcefully.

Cathy said...

Good for you for buying the book! Nice choice.
And you could write a book...I have a really old Quilt in a Day book and the string triangle method you happened upon is how the book instructed to get the job done. I made quilts for the kids beds. That was before I owned special rulers, rotary cutter and cutting mat.

Chantal said...

Very gift you gave yourself. You must have been very nice to get this book, wink! I love Sand Castle. That's an awesome design and I know you will so enjoy doing it. And I will enjoy watching you make this quilt and ... the second one too. You can still use the square to make the string triangles; just use wider pieces for the corners. I always have a stash of triangles somewhere for those emergencies. Anywho! It will be fun to watch this RSC project grow in 2019. Enjoy! ;^)

Vireya said...

I love the Sand Castles pattern too. Smart thinking to make the no-waste string triangles!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Looks like a great project and isn’t it satisfying when a “what if?” leads to a good solution!

Jo said...

It is a great mystery this year. Nothing is obvious. Great way to do the strip piecing. Just be careful with the bias edges on the outside of the squares.

Jeanne said...

Off to a good start with the RSC block!

Ann said...

What a good way to use up all the little scraps and combine this with other challenges.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I've been trying to resist buying Bonnie's new book, but Sand Castles does look pretty cool. It will be fun to watch yours in progress. I think half the fun of doing her mystery, is trying to figure out how it all goes together!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

What a smart way to make those strings - my stingy heart doesn't like that waste either! And your sample block is so beautiful!

Magpie Sue said...

i've been catching up on your blog posts. Let me just say I now have a smile on my face after a stressful afternoon. :D

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A great start, love your colours! Looking forward to seeing just how the Bonnie H. mystery comes together too.

Kate said...

What a fun RSC project for 2019. Sounds like you've got a project that you'll enjoy playing with all of 2019. I'm with you on the BH mystery this year. How all these different sizes are going together is definitely a mystery to me. Maybe we'll find out today?

QuiltGranma said...

Love your idea of using long piece of paper... what did you use? Old newsprint? (old so the print will not rub off?)

Raewyn said...

Great solution to your wasting quandary :-) I love your new project - it seems like that book may have to come to my house too! Happy New Year!

Louise said...

That's...that's just brilliant. Brilliant! I think you should show this to Bonnie Hunter. I'll bet adopts your method. Now I want the book :)

Cathy said...

You’re a genius, I tell ya! That string piecing solution should win you the Nobel Prize for Quilting.

SandraC said...

I love your Sand Castles block....so much so that I'm going to go and order that book right now!!! I wasn't going to take part in RSC this year, but I think you've changed my mind on that....I hope you don't mind if I copy/borrow your idea?????

Mystic Quilter said...

Zillions of small pieces in Sandcastles!! Looks a great quilt though and I'm sure that before long you're going to be posting a finish.