May 2021 be kinder to us all!
Happy New Year! (I hope!)
On Friday, Bonnie Hunter gave us clue #5 for Grassy Creek and I got right to work making little nine patches. They went together pretty quickly, so next thing I knew I was spreading them out for a glamor shot.
At the point where I started grabbing other fabric chunks to see how varying the setting triangles would look, I reined myself in and put the blocks in the Grassy Creek box before I could get myself into any more trouble. Even my squirrels are falling down rabbit holes these days.
Part 2 of Clue 5 is a nice stack of flying geese. I made a few more than the half that I was shooting for, but am totally not worried about it. Has anyone EVER said "Gee, I wish I didn't have a bunch of extra flying geese blocks laying around"?
Though when I started laying them out to see what else I could do with them, I slapped my hands and put them away. Two rabbit holes in one day was entirely too much.
I'm still deciding about which blocks to do for RSC2021. Cake Stands are a definite yes, and those cute little square-in-squares that were dragging me around the other day. Postage stamp blocks will continue into the new year (PSP20 will roll into PSP21), and I'm thinking of a Single Wedding Ring (aka Georgetown Circle and about eleventy other names) like our friend Cathy has been making over at Squirrel Central. Though if I'm not extremely careful, Cathy will inspire me into starting eight new projects. Every single week...
First up - I got some cutting and sewing done for Grassy Creek (well, the Half-Grassy Creek that I'm making anyway.) Here's a stack of clue 4's, plus a couple of clue 3's that haven't been clue4-ed yet.
And into the box they went to await the next clue, which will drop on Saturday.
And then I thought about it some more. She posts a link to the free pattern, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that I could do a smaller block. Because you know me - the smaller the better. I love her idea of using black-on-white prints for the corners of the squares, and since I'm working on the borders for Sand Castles 2
my cutting table is literally and liberally littered with black-on-white prints.
So, a test block was in order, right? I grabbed a 2.5" print square and 2 2.5" b/w squares, sliced the background squares diagonally, and sewed up a sample block. (Technically that center square should be 2 5/8" rather than 2 1/2", but I can't be bothered to cut a bunch of 2 5/8" squares when I've got a bin full of 2.5" already on hand)
I puddled together a few more Clue #3's for Bonnie Hunter's Grassy Creek mystery -
Then there's the 4-patches bin which needs to be replenished (two back to back Sand Castles took a toll!) and Easy Peasy and nine-patches for Jack's Chain, all going on in the background. Seems like these days I'm all putzy all the time.
And where would I be without my diligent little helpers guarding the stash?
I don't know what they're going to do when they're full grown. I might have to get a bigger bin for my orange scraps...
What's more fun than a kitten in a bin?
Three weeks in and I have no idea where we're going with this. Which is half the fun!
And this appeared sometime this afternoon. I have no idea how. It's not like I'm making shoofly blocks or anything.
Is there such a thing as an Accidental Shoofly?
Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday (even though I did doodly-squat for RSC sewing this week/month) and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap! Come see all the colorful goodness!
Well, after November's abysmal showing, let's see if I can do a little better in December. At this point in 2020, it's getting a little hard to rub two thoughts together, so mostly I've continued with projects already underway.
One thing I've been looking forward to is Bonnie Hunter's Mystery - the first clue dropped last Friday. As usual, I'll be making roughly half(-ish) of the necessary components as we go along. (I don't really need another humungous quilt top sitting around!)
(And also, I'm still not 100% convinced about this whole 'gray' thing, despite y'all's best efforts to tell me it'll be fine)
My biggest effort has gone into Sand Castles 2. I've now got 40 done out of the 48 blocks needed.
I've been cutting mountains of 1.5" squares for my 4-patch collection and postage stamp blocks, plus those needed for Easy Peasy. (Bonnie Hunter's leader/ender challenge for this year, which is actually called Easy Breezy, but my brain rejects that in favor of Easy Peasy every single time so I give up)
Speaking of Easy Peasy, I've been thinking ahead to how I'll set them. (I know, but I swear I can't help myself)
My first idea was just to set them alternating with a plain square, which would be easy and quick and not overly complicated.