Sunday, December 27, 2020

Last of the RSC2020 posts, plus a little more Grassy Creek

 On Friday, Bonnie Hunter gave us clue #5 for Grassy Creek and I got right to work making little nine patches.  They went together pretty quickly, so next thing I knew I was spreading them out for a glamor shot.


As I marveled over how cute and flower-like they were, I had a sudden thought - wouldn't they be fun in other colors as well?  Keep that orange center and change up the four squares around it.  You know - like an RSC block.  (you can picture the light bulb going flash in my head)

I grabbed the nearest chunk of fabric and started laying them out, just to see how they'd look.


And then I thought - how about as a strippy?

At the point where I started grabbing other fabric chunks to see how varying the setting triangles would look, I reined myself in and put the blocks in the Grassy Creek box before I could get myself into any more trouble.  Even my squirrels are falling down rabbit holes these days.

Part 2 of Clue 5 is a nice stack of flying geese.  I made a few more than the half that I was shooting for, but am totally not worried about it.  Has anyone EVER said "Gee, I wish I didn't have a bunch of extra flying geese blocks laying around"?


Though when I started laying them out to see what else I could do with them, I slapped my hands and put them away.  Two rabbit holes in one day was entirely too much.

I'm still deciding about which blocks to do for RSC2021.  Cake Stands are a definite yes, and those cute little square-in-squares that were dragging me around the other day.  Postage stamp blocks will continue into the new year (PSP20 will roll into PSP21), and I'm thinking of a Single Wedding Ring (aka Georgetown Circle and about eleventy other names) like our friend Cathy has been making over at Squirrel Central.  Though if I'm not extremely careful, Cathy will inspire me into starting eight new projects.  Every single week...


Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday, and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come join the fun!



17 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those 9 patches are so happy! No wonder you wanted to play with them in different ways. File that idea away for another day!

Julierose said...

those are the cutest 9-patches!! And yes, Cathy always sends me chasing after "squirrels" too...;)))
hugs, Julierose

cityquilter grace said...

wow...lovely units and great ideas!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Ah, rabbits and squirrels!

Libby in TN said...

Cathy definitely has that effect on folks! Love your little 9Ps.

Bonnie said...

Oh yes those cute little 9 patches would look darling with either setting you came up with. I agree with Libby! Cathy definitely inspires us to start new projects. Luckily, I general take a screen shot of what I like and stash in folder called RSC Ideas. Hopefully I'll only have one idea going for the upcoming RSC.

Linda said...

The 9 patch blocks are great and I can see how you got dragged down that hole, playing around with settings. Both look lovely and that pretty blue is an excellent colour to set off the blocks. Yes, Cathy draws my attention too and before I know it another project is started!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Fun little blocks, pretty colors! Enjoy making new projects ;)

Gretchen Weaver said...

The 9 patch blocks are very cute. I love both the squirrel you are considering. 9 patches would be a wonderful RSC project. Happy stitching and happy New Year!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am bummed you aren’t continuing with the blue and orange. That is such an amazing combination!

Thanks for sharing with oh scrap! See you in 2021

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I love that green and orange together!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Squirrel or not, I love those nine patches on point as a verticals strippy quilt. LOL ... you and Cathy both have the squirrel-effect on me!

Lisa in Port Hope said...

I hate piecing on point quilts, so your stripey variation would be doable if each 9 patch was turned into a diamond individually. Enjoy the rest of Grassy Creeķ!

Cathy said...

Oh, you definitely need to carry on with those 9Ps on point. Those orange centers in the 9Ps and orange sashing will be awesome.

Looking forward to what you will decide for a RSC block each month.

Happy New Year!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh love those blocks on the blue with the orange strips!!

Ann said...

Oh, yes. Love your nine patches on that blue. You have lots of great plans for next year. Enjoy!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm loving the bits and pieces of your Grassy Creek Mystery, Gayle!!