Thursday, December 24, 2020

Grassy clues caught up, plus why I shouldn't visit Cathy's blog unsupervised

First up - I got some cutting and sewing done for Grassy Creek (well, the Half-Grassy Creek that I'm making anyway.)  Here's a stack of clue 4's, plus a couple of clue 3's that haven't been clue4-ed yet.

And into the box they went to await the next clue, which will drop on Saturday.


 So then I got to thinking about a quilt that Cathy showed the other day - one that she's planning to do for RSC next year.  

And then I thought about it some more.  She posts a link to the free pattern, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that I could do a smaller block.  Because you know me - the smaller the better.  I love her idea of using black-on-white prints for the corners of the squares, and since I'm working on the borders for Sand Castles 2

my cutting table is literally and liberally littered with black-on-white prints.

So, a test block was in order, right?  I grabbed a 2.5" print square and 2 2.5" b/w squares, sliced the background squares diagonally, and sewed up a sample block.  (Technically that center square should be 2 5/8" rather than 2 1/2", but I can't be bothered to cut a bunch of 2 5/8" squares when I've got a bin full of 2.5" already on hand)


RSC2021 here I come!  I love the little block I ended up with - at 3.5" it will finish at 3" and I can make a gazillion of them before I have to stop.

Speaking of stopping -





it looks like I might have a problem with that.

But I'm absolutely done now with making sample blocks.


Well, almost done.


Mostly done?


Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday, no matter what you celebrate!  Merry, Happy, Joyous, all!

17 comments:

Vireya said...

Happy everything to you, too! And best wishes for a wonderful 2021.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Merry and happy to you, too, Gayle! Looks like you found some potato chip blocks - you can't make just one... Those are great!

Libby in TN said...

I may join you on that one! I have a lot of B/W in my collection for Long Time Gone which I will never finish as envisioned.

Libby in TN said...

PS: Merry Christmas, Dear Friend!

Cathy said...

I was drooling over those little blocks, too, and so we may have another pandemic brewing. Merry, Happy Christmas!

Ann said...

Good idea to use the size you have. Darling blocks. Cathy is an inspiration to us all - and so fast!
Merry Christmas.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You, too? I have already started playing with background fabrics for that same quilt! I love your sizing ... I am not much for those 5/8ths, either ...

Marei said...

You aren't the only one that should be supervised when reading Cathy's blog! I've decided I can't read it anymore without notepad and pencil nearby. And NOW I'm going to have to make those blocks,too! So stinkin cute in the small size. Can you wait a minute while I pull out my gazillion 2.5" squares.....

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm glad to see the newest squirrel, very cute! Do people actually cut 2-5/8" squares? Happy sewing!

Cathy said...

Oh, those are cute! And, darn, I just finished emptying my 2.5 inch scrap bin yesterday making boring nine patches.

Louise said...

Is a half grassy creek a muddy creek? And yes, Cathy's blog is a gateway drug. And we all know that "Just Say No" doesn't work :)

Chantal said...

Are you telling me I shouldn't click on the link you provided for Cathy's blog? I'm almost afraid to go see it. What if I get contaminated too? HAAaaa! 😲🤩 Great progress on Grassy Creek. If it's half a creek, is it call a ditch? (IJK)
Wishing you a Very Merry Everywhere you go and a Happy Everyday. Stay safe. 💖 ;^)

Laura said...

Cute blocks! Yes, I dangerously follow Cathy's blog too! Oh...the temptations!
Merry Christmas! :)

MissPat said...

Oh no, Gayle, you are never done. Even when you've finished one project, you're well known for doing it again (ala Sand Castles). And both Cathy's blogs are known to get me in trouble. And then there's Sally and wow, even Gayle. My squirrels are having a field day.
Merry, Merry, Happy, Happy to you, too.
Pat

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I agree with you that going to Cathy's blog unsupervised is dangerous, but you have to take pity on people like me who also has that problem with your blog. And Sally's blog as Miss Pat mentioned. I am in big trouble indeed! Merry Christmas to you!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Yes, Cathy’s blog should have a warning screen that states clicking thru will most likely result in a new project. Guess we know what you are making withany2.5” square you discover.

Merry Christmas Gayle,

Sally Trude said...

Ah ha! You do realize that providing the link to the candy store is as bad as being the candy store? But it does explain why I am getting so many requests for white chocolate, I mean, low volume fabrics. But this is where it comes full circle because I remember a few years ago realizing that Cathy had so many lights with bits of brights. So I started to hoard, I mean collect them...but it also means I have lots to share.