So there I was, minding my own business, with no plans of starting any new projects, when one of my weekly newsletters featured a cute little framed star. One look and I was a goner.
One block, I said to myself. Just one to test the pattern and the construction method they suggest.
Well, I followed the instructions (except that I used two different backgrounds instead of only one like they did) (because why would I use 3 fabrics when I could use 4?) (and I'm thinking about trying a 5th color for the star center because you know how I like to complicate things) and was quite pleased with it.
So then I made another one, using the construction I'd visualized when I first laid eyes on the block - I saw it as a basic nine-patch grid and proceeded accordingly.
(And notice how I oh so cleverly used turquoise in each block so I could justify them as RSC blocks. Bonus points for me!)
But those little flying geese were making me grumpy. The pattern used the squares/rectangle stitch-and-flip method for the little devils and my machine kept wanting to just chew them up. The air was getting a bit blue what with the swearing and all.
I decided if ever a block cried out for the 4-geese-at-a-time method
, this one was it. I checked the chart for the sizes of the squares I would need.
Hmm... the chart said one big square 3 1/4" and four smaller squares 1 7/8". I thought about those measurements for about 3/16 of a second and said "Oh, hell no."
There had to be an easier way.
I wondered if I could use 3.5" squares and 2" squares instead, and then just trim them down a bit. My only concern was that the seam allowance at the apex of the "goose" might come up short, but it turned out not to be a problem at all. It was perfect, in fact.
Here are the untrimmed geese on the left and the trimmed on the right.
I'm normally not a fan of go big and trim back, but in the case of these littlie-bits I'm willing to make an exception. Since I always have 3.5" and 2" strips and squares on hand, those measurements are going to be a whole lot easier to work with.
So, yeah, looks like I've started another project. (It's for the RSC! Honest!)
That left me with my languishing Jack's Chain still on the design wall. I adore this pattern and really want to get it made, but the amount of time it would spend on the wall while I sewed it together was daunting.
It wants to be worked on and isn't afraid of making me feel guilty for sewing something else. (You should have
felt how fiercely
it stared at me while I was making those little framed stars...)
So I've developed a plan. The rows are basically a chain of this 5-nine-patch C-shaped unit
joined across. I've been sewing triangles to individual nine patches, sort of as a leader/ender, which I'll start assembling into a bunch of those C-shapes and then later on add the hexagon centers.
Not all of the nine-patches will be handled that way, though. Some will be set aside for the in-between rows which just consist of hexagons and nine-patches alternating across.
This approach lets me take it down off the design wall (and put it where it can't stare at me) while I accumulate all these bigger components.
There. That's taken care of.
I have a plan.
I'm almost sure it will work.
Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap! Come join the fun!