Friday, May 28, 2021

Perserverence - now with more Glitter

If you cut up little bits of fabric and sew them together, and then cut up more and sew them together too, and you keep that up for years, you eventually end up with a quilt top. 


(In real life, it actually is square and everything, but I can't get a good pic.  There's no good place to stand to fit the whole wall into camera frame without a shelf unit trying to photobomb the picture from the right)

Here's a peek at some of the chaos going on in this quilt.  I went with just randomly grabbing blocks and sewing them together, rather than dithering for a month about color placement.  And then dithering for another month...


I've been worrying about the finishing of this quilt and whether to add a border or not, and if so, what kind of border it should be.  The idea of quilting and binding all the wonkity bits around the edges was making me twitch.
After discarding the notion of just running a plain narrow border around it because I couldn't make up my mind what color to use, I had a brainstorm -

and ran up a quick mock-up.  Still thinking about the top and bottom - pieces that each span two blocks, like in that pic, or matching them to the widths of the blocks?

I'm going to let that percolate in my brain for a bit.




10 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love, love, love it!
Glitter on!!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is amazing!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

It looks amazing! Love all that scrappy colour! And well done with stickling with it!

Angie said...

Wonderfulness! I like your border idea - go for it!

Laura said...

I think I might have gone without a border, but I like your idea.
Love the colorful quilt! :)

Julie in GA said...

Your Glitter quilt top looks fantastic! I like your scrappy border plan with the two-block width across top and bottom.

MissPat said...

Good plan with the scrappy border. It's so nice to see this one reaching completion.
Pat

sue s said...

I like the two-block idea. A border will be a nice stop.This really turned out nice!

Cathy said...

Marvelous!
So do you like randomizing?? Will you do it again?
If you do feel like dithering you can always dither about how to quilt it!

Mystic Quilter said...

Wonderful finish Gayle, congratulations!! Glitter is stunning, you must be so thrilled to have completed the top.