Sunday, May 23, 2021

Cherry cakes and fist bumps

 Well, despite an interesting week (I got my second dose!  I fevered up and had sludge for brains!  I got better!), I managed to get a bit of sewing done.

Another Antique Tile for my collection,


and more cake stands (polka dots!)


and even more cake stands!


I love that cherry print for the background on the right.  (You thought from the post title that I was talking about real cherry cake, right?  Nah.  Just cherry cake stands.)

And I got rows and rows of Glitter put together.

Here's the halfway point -


and here's all of the rows, absolutely overwhelming my design wall. 


I had a moment's panic concern when I was sewing pairs of pairs together (after making the eight trios that I'd need for the ends of the rows) when I had this pair left over.  This meant that I'd counted wrong by two, but was it two up or two down?


It was a real relief when I got the sets of fours sewn together and they came out even.  While I freely admit I could easily be off by 2, I was pretty sure I wasn't off by 6.  Sure enough, the rest of the rows went together just fine, and I have two little blocks that will probably end up on the back.  (No, I'm not going to save them for seed for another Glitter.  Much as I love these blocks, I am SO done with making them!)

I sewed the top two rows together before quitting for the day. 


While I was sewing blocks into rows, I decided that I was going to settle for "close enough" when trying to match those points on the edges.  We're talking a bunch of weird angles, y-seams, and some really funky bias here.   These blocks absolutely refuse to square up politely.  

It was even wonkier when it came to stitching together the rows.  For those top and bottom very pointy points, I realized kiss-me-on-the-mouth accuracy was never gonna happen - let's just go for fist bump vicinity.

I'm pretty sure that's the only way I won't end up gibbering in the corner by the time this thing is put together.


Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come see what all us little scrappers have been up to!




14 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Glitter blocks are going together amazingly, Gayle! I've seen a block or two at a time, but the whole effect of them is a big Wow!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your glitter quilt is amazing and no one will notice the seams slightly unmatched when they look at the quilt as a whole.

Sally Trude said...

Happily, quilts don’t crack in the kiln. I would have had to quit this sport decades ago if there was a referee calling fouls on what I do to fabric under the sewing machine needle. But then, maybe that’s why Molly keeps unthreading my machine. Love seeing your Glitter and knowing its not contagious.

Chantal said...

Oh! My! Sizzling Bacon! Look at the scrappiness of this quilt!! It is soooooo awesome! Oh yes, the cake stand! Yes, yes, they are very nice. But look at this Glitter quilt. I could just look at it for hours. So many interesting fabrics, and combinations, and wow, it's a fun quilt. Kudos to you for getting only two bonus blocks. They can work as your label, just saying. You did an amazing job. I'm getting my HST quilt together so I can understand the seams not matching. Yours must be a WHOLE lot more complex than mine. But the end is so near. Go, Gayle, Go!! ;^)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love all that red.
And Glitter... WOWZA!

The Joyful Quilter said...

It looks like everything is matching up nicely, Gayle. Nice job on those RED blocks for the RSC!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Wow! Glitter is amazing. No one is going to notice a few points don’t match. Thanks for sharing with oh Scrap!

sue s said...

I have never seen anything like Glitter before! It is amazing as a quilt! Better done than perfect they say, and it's true!

MissPat said...

Hurray for "Glitter" approaching flimsy stage. Isn't it amazing how a design can look so intriguing in 2 dimensions, but turn into such a challenge when the sewing together begins. If anyone notices some wonky points, they're standing too close anyway. Tell them to back up and be quiet.
Pat

Robin said...

I'm so impressed with all of this. Your quilt truly does glitter!!! I've got to make this pattern. I just love it.

Louise said...

In pandemic times, fist bumping is not only acceptable, it is the safe and sane choice. Heck, maybe these blocks should be wearing tiny masks, too? Hopefully they are all in the same Glitter Pod!

Ann said...

Congrats on your second shot. I had the same reaction. At least we are helping stop the spread of this terrible virus.
Love your reds and glitter blocks. I think you've easily overcome the sludge-brain. Haha.

Cathy said...

Your Glitter is a feast for the eyes! I’m so glad it was you who got to wrestle and wrangle and herd the blocks. it’s beautiful - and who besides you will ever notice (or care about) any points that aren’t perfectly matched?

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray for second doses! Good for you!