Thursday, November 19, 2020

I could have sworn I'd posted something this month...

 Apparently that's not the case at all.  I wonder what happened to all those posts I wrote in my head?

Anyway.  Remember when I had that squirrel running through?  Well, it made another pass.  The diamonds that I'd made and set aside kept catching my eye.  I liked them, but I really wanted more purple.  I started scrumbling around in my 1.5" strip bin and pulled some colors.


I like this one a whole lot better.

And since those previous diamonds were just lying around taking up space, I set them around the new star just to see what would happen.  (The lime isn't quite that limey in real life, but it is a bit bright)


And then, because I've never been one to let well enough alone, I pulled some fabrics to audition for borders.

Then I had to pick it all up and hide it from myself because I'm trying to work on this:


(That's the first 20 blocks done.  I'm actually up to 26 done now, with the red lozenge parts done on seven more)  (Remember that part about writing posts in my head?  Apparently I'm also taking pictures in my head)

And then, because I can never let well enough alone (see above), I had an idea for borders that I had to try.


Running those stringy bits all the way around the perimeter of the quilt is generating an awful lot of extra work for myself, but once I saw the effect I was a goner.  Right now I'm thinking of sewing together red squares for an outer border, then binding in either red or black.  Or maybe I'll just take an easier way out and run another of those narrow black borders instead of the squares.

Ah, dithering.  My favorite part!

15 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Those sandcastles are just amazing when they come together!

Libby in TN said...

I'm liking this one a lot! Don't feel bad; I write a lot of those posts in my head, too.

Chantal said...

I'm guilty of writing posts in my head too. We're all a little crazy in this business, lol. Love the mini quilt with the diamond star. Purple looks great with the borders. But let's not talk about that because that's not what you are working on! Red Sandcastle is amazing, Gayle. Wow! And I love that string border! Not so much the little red squares. I feel like they are competing with the sandcastles. If it was a one fabric red border, I think it would work better. But that's just me thinking out loud. Enjoy! ;^)

Cherie in St Louis said...

I love the red sandcastle border.....a lot of work but sooo effective.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your 'sandcastle' border idea is looking great, it'll be worth the extra effort. The purple is perfect in your diamond star! Love how one thing leads to another!

cityquilter grace said...

ooh sandcastle is beautiful and oh that star! hope you keep on letting your mind wander...LOL

Gretchen Weaver said...

Beautiful quilts! When I'm in the mood to sew, stopping to take pictures and write a post is annoying. Happy stitching!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Lone Star project is really looking amazing, Gayle! I like the colors you ended up with for the center star, and then the addition of the original diamonds in the corners is a great idea. Looks like you've had fun playing with that one! Sandcastles is coming right along, too!

MissPat said...

Your lone star blocks reminded me that I have an unfinished table topper from a Jaybird Quilts pattern that I really should finish. There have been a lot of them showing up on Instgram as part of a Jaybird Quilts QAL called Journey to Nebula in preparation for a Tula Pink QAL in January. The outer string block border for Sandcastles is a perfect finish and you've never shied away from extra work, so why start now?
Pat

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, yes!!!!! To the diamonds and the sandcastles/border ideas. Yes, yes, YES!

Louise said...

Both projects are looking mighty fine! I really like the extra star points as corner blocks, it has quite the star burst effect :)

Sally Trude said...

How come your squirrels are so much prettier than mine. I think they might be brainier too because they like complexity.

Julie A Hutcherson said...

Dithering is your favorite part, LOL!! A sewl sister. he he he

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I've been chasing some squirrels of the hexagonal sort. Yours being diamonds and stars are so special and lovely. Coming together beautifully, Gayle!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oops, missed this post!! Beautiful diamond star Gayle and not long surely before Sand Castle blocks are all done!