Sunday, December 23, 2018

What was I thinking?

Just popping in with a quick post - busy busy busy!
Somehow I got so excited with finishing those two quilts last month that I started casting around for another one to finish.
If memory served, checkerboard rails (my last leader/ender project) was closest to being done.  I knew I had taken photos of the last time I'd laid it out, so I could remember how I'd decided to resolve the edges, but it took me a while to find the pics.


Luckily they were on the SD card that didn't get accidentally erased.


So I pulled out their bin, laid out the blocks, and started finishing the bits that were already cut and partially sewn.


And Tada!  Not a finished top yet, but the upper right is sewn together and the rest of the diagonal rows are assembled and awaiting attachment.


Corners will be added, and a simple stop border, and then it'll be done!  Woohoo!

And I squeezed in a bit of sewing for Clue 5 of Good Fortune.


I've got lots of triangles cut and waiting by the machine.  My strategy is to make them in pairs so I don't get confused about how many I've made of each.  The less thinking I have to do this time of year, the better off I am.

Linking with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap! and probably this will serve as my Good Fortune linkup post as well.  (I don't foresee me getting any more sewing done until after Christmas...)
Happy scrappy, everyone!
And happiest of holidays, too!




22 comments:

Libby in TN said...

That's going to be one cheerful quilt! I love the checkerboards. Black and white in a quilt always adds sparkle. Have a very Merry Christmas. Hugs!

Vicki in MN said...

Whoa-you checkerboard quilt is quite eye catching-so fun and colorful.
Happy Holidays!

Jayne said...

Love the rail fence quilt! The black and white checker board is so much fun!

Marly said...

The checker board rail fence looks wonderful on point. Happy Christmas!

Chantal said...

Your checkerboard quilt is so awesome I am almost tempted to make one too. Maybe after I have finished 365 Challenge Sampler Hahaha! (enter laughter of derision). You are doing so well on the mystery quilt. Congratulations for keeping up with the pace. Have the bestest Holiday ever! ;^)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I love those checkerboard rails!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Way to go on that checkerboard quilt! Fitting those pieces together looks a bit mind-boggling... Have a wonderful holiday, Gayle!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I have always loved this scrappy design. It will be great to get the top finished in 2018. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Wishing you a wonderful holiday as well Gayle!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your Checkerboard Rails quilt is going to be FANTASTIC!!!

Karen's Korner said...

Some lovely projects happening at your place.

Kathy S. said...

Love your checkers and rails!!! It's gorgeous. I refrained from the leader/ender challenge this year. I'm hoping to have enough of my UFO's finished this summer to start the 2019 summer one. We'll see.

I totally understand wanting to not think this time of year. I just like to sew little four-patches over and over and over. Chain piecing rocks. For Clue #5 I counted out all my orange pieces and chain stitched them. Then I moved on to the next step so that I had them counted out right. Chain stitching victory.

Have a great holiday!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You're making great progress on the rail fence quilt. I should have done a leader/ender but the Ringo Lake had enough parts and pieces that I didn't need one. I will be making a scrap quilt in 2019 (at least one) to beat some of the scraps into submission. So far every block of Good Fortune is telling me to make it. I will wait until the reveal and then I will have a lot of catch up to do if I do decide to make it.

Laura said...

Just another fan of your scrappy rail and checkboard quilt! :)

Merry Christmas!

Sally Trude said...

Your checkerboard rails are wonderful. And I'm so impressed you have Part 5 going before the link date. Guess its time to get to work...

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I love the diagonal setting on your checkerboard rails--so much more interesting than a straight set. My checkerboard rails have kind of fallen by the way side. I'm going to have to put it on my list for next year---again....

Ann said...

The checkerboards make a wonderful accent to the scrappy rails - both because of the value difference and the size change. Good job getting this one {almost} to a top.
And good plan to work the left and rights in pairs.

Louise said...

The on point setting is looking great! Happy holidays, Gayle :)

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Lovely work!
Happy Holidays.

Jo said...

Love the orange

Vireya said...

Great progress on the checkerboard rails, and the mystery!

kmkat said...

Love that checkerboard rails quilt!

Kate said...

Checkerboard Rails is coming together beautifully. I need to get going on the BH clues, I've not touched clue 5 at all!