Saturday, December 1, 2018

Squared Away is getting (slowly) (but surely) squared away

My method for making Squared Away blocks this year was to make one of each every month, then decide at the end of the year which ones to make more of.

Since the blue block (September) wasn't as symmetrical as the others, I figured that if I made four of them and put them in the corners, everything would balance out.  I got two of them made, then stalled when I got side-tracked with finishing Long Time Gone and On Ringo Lake.

So, getting back to work, I cut some pieces,


and taped a model block to the wall so I wouldn't get confused,


and made a third block (pretend you don't notice that I lost one of the light squares and had to replace it with a almost-close-enough square since I couldn't locate any more of that particular fabric)


and then a fourth one.


They made wonderful leader/enders as I continued to pursue some holiday sewing.


Somebody's getting a new lunchbag for Christmas!

Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.  Come see all the fun!




9 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Gayle, that is a great idea to use those blocks for the corners! I put mine on opposite sides, facing opposite directions, so that made me feel better. :) It always feels good to make progress!

Mari said...

Oh, those would lo ok good for corners! Can't wait to see your top!

Mystic Quilter said...

Great idea, neat looking blocks.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Well is that not a brilliant idea! Does that mean a quilt top will soon be finished?

Jo said...

Any sewing is good sewing.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty blocks, they will look good at corners!

Louise said...

Very smart to use four of the asymmetrical blocks! That should balance everything out very nicely. Cute lunch bag, too :)

Marly said...

I didn’t notice one square was different until I read about it! Good solution for the corners.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Don't you hate it when a piece of fabric goes missing? I have to admit that it's happened to me several times. I had an applique piece disappear only to fall out of my iron a year later--lol! I love the blocks and your make-do piece looks fine.