Sunday, December 9, 2018

Scrappy Fortunes

One of the best things about Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt is that it gives me something to show at this time of year.  I'm up to my armpits in super secret gifty bits, but at least I have some pictures to share as I putter along with Good Fortune.

First, though, here's some greens I couldn't resist when my sister-in-law and I visited our favorite quilt shop for their semi-annual big sale.


(Zucchini!  Who could pass up fabric with zucchini?!?)

So, I got a start on Clue #3 for Good Fortune.  These chevron units seem to be a favorite of Bonnie's - she includes them in a lot of her quilts.


And into the bin they go.


I'm continuing to make all three units, squeezed in between my other projects.

Though there have been some boo-boos.
I took a closer look at this HST I'd made.  Something wasn't right.


Flipping it over, I found that I'd sewn the light triangle in backwards.  So I grabbed the seam ripper, separated the triangles, and re-sewed them.


 And damned if I didn't make the same mistake again...


At that point I gave up and just left it.  It sort of looks like just a very pale print and it's not like anyone will ever notice it but me.  Scrappy is as scrappy does, right?

And bless our Bonnie for her tutorial on mass-producing triangles with the folded corners ruler.  I tested it out, making some triangles in the size I'm using for Totally Demented.


I had no idea that the ruler could be used for this - I'd gotten it for another purpose altogether.  Bonus!
I've been playing with every possible way to make HSTs, since I need so many of them.  Even after I finish Totally Demented, I have other quilts planned that need kabillions more. (Tree of Life, anyone?)

Linking with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap! and with Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville for the third Good Fortune linky party.  Come see all the scrappy fun!






15 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your mystery tub is filling up nicely. I too recently learned that HST method. It is pretty slick.

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Chantal said...

They say that green is good for your health. I think it works with green fabric too. :^D
Love the zucchini one! You are doing very well on BKH mystery quilt. Don't fret the backward piece of fabric. Most of us do it on purpose when we need lighter color. It's called a professional secret. Shhhht. lol. ;^)

Julierose said...

that zucchini fabric is wonderful! And the green batik has such pretty shading...great buys hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You did find some good greens! I have trouble with greens - seems like I always end with too many blue greens and not enough zucchinis! :) Good for you keeping up with the mystery clues!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oooh- now that's a fun new way to make HSTs!
Love your green bits, but I'm partial to green!

Vireya said...

One of my previous mysteries has a back-to-front neutral piece that I didn't discover until I was sewing the whole thing together. I figured no-one was likely to notice, so left it alone.

Jo said...

Love the zucchinis

Louise said...

I had some of that zucchini fabric, too! It's so fun and such a great green. Your diamond/chevron thingies are looking great. I'm using the cut off flippy corners for my 2" HSTs, and I gotta say the seam allowances are skinny minny.

MissPat said...

Bonnie (I think) says, "You've paid for both sides of the fabric so there's no reason you shouldn't use both sides". Keep of the good work. I've been to Pucky Huddle, but not in several years. It's a good two hour drive and our group hasn't taken a field trip in that direction lately.
Pat

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

I've sewed 2 of my color fabrics to a neutral fabric for HSTs. They stuck together and I did it 2 different times. Didn't notice until I got to the ironing part. So I made new ones. Yours are looking good.

Sally Trude said...

Yes, I had some inadvertent slips to the wrong side as well, and then remembered that wrong is right. Having productive methods speeds everything up...including the "mistakes."

kmkat said...

I love discovering that something I already own can be used for another purpose, thereby eliminating the need for Another Tool. Like whenI saw that a needle gauge could be used for stripping rosemary leaves off the stem.

Cheryl in Friendsville said...

I love the zucchini fabric!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Cute zucchini fabric! Your blocks are growing!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the zucchini fabric Gayle, your mystery is growing nicely.