Sunday, November 29, 2015

Allietare, here I come!

I could have kicked myself today.  With all our company gone, I went down to the Flat to sew, and forgot to bring along a piglet sketch.  I really really really wanted to sew a piglet, but not enough to run back up to the house and start over.
So I started cutting and sewing for Allietare.  Clue 1 is just HSTs of neutrals with the constant gray.

I got 54 of them made and put them into the project box I've set aside for Allietare bits.

I only need 240 more and I'll have clue 1 done.
I should be able to do them as leaders/enders this week, right?
(Optimism is such a character flaw...)

I'm linking up with Oh Scrap!  at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.  Come see all the gorgeousness!

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Brioche brioche brioche

Go ahead!  Say it three times - it's fun!

I got a book today for a late birthday gift.

The brioche class I took on Craftsy last month was taught by Nancy Marchant.  I've been drooling over this book ever since. 
Knitpicks has a sale on yarn.
It was fate, I tell ya.  Fate. 
And the order has been shipped...

Friday, November 27, 2015

Oinklets and Triangles

Two reasons to do the happy dance today!

1.  The first clue for Allietare is out - and it's bunches and bunches of half-square triangles.  Not only easy peasy, but I can do a lot of them as leader/enders while I work on the Twinkly project. 

2.  Sally T found some piglets in her studio.  I have a feeling there's going to be a bunch of them turning up in my studio, too.  Probably in rainbow colors.  Because they are quite possibly the cutest piglets ever.   And I would dearly love to make an oinky quilt. 
(Oh, dear.  I think I just named it in my head:  'Oinkers Aweigh'.  Help me...)

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American readers!
May there be joy and laughter and pumpkin pie.
I'm going to particularly enjoy the squash...  8)

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Episode 25: Where our heroine vanquishes a behemoth and achieves squash

Cue the trumpets, here we go.
It's Hubbard time!

For an idea of scale - that's my little size 7 shoe there.  Big damn squash we're talking here.
It was a gift from my sister-in-law for our Thanksgiving dinner - she grew a bunch of them in her garden this year.  Her advice on opening it was to put it in a trashbag and drop it on a concrete floor.  Preferably from a second story window.
Well, I didn't have a second story window, but I had a trashbag and a concrete floor.
Step one:

 I closed the bag, heaved it up to chest level (I'm sure there's a weightlifting name for the move), and then dropped it on the floor.
Peeking inside the bag, I found no change.  Not so much as a dent.

Wrap, heave, drop again.


I tried a couple more times, still with no results.  I would have tried lifting it over my head, but it was just too heavy.  Finally I bent my knees slightly, then rose up abruptly while throwing the squash into the air.  (Picture caber tossing, only with a squash instead of a tree.  Same technique.)  I managed to get it up about head high, and it hit the ground with a crunchy noise.
I got excited!  Success at last!

Nope.  But at least I chipped it!  Progress!
I launched it a couple more times and got  this beautiful crack.

 I tried prying it open at this point, but no go.  Two more tosses and I opened the bag to this glorious sight:

No squash in the verse can stop me!

 I piled the chunks on the table and started hacking off rind.

And hacking.
And hacking.
Finally I took the two biggest chunks left, piled them on a cookie sheet, and threw them in the oven.

 And finished peeling the last little piece.

 Done.  The pot is boiling and the tray is baking, and I'm resting from my mighty labors.

And trying not to think about the fact that my sister-in-law actually gave us TWO of those squashes.
The other one is still waiting for me.
I think I hear it humming the theme from Jaws...

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Double Star, or Hope of Hartford

Yet another possibility for RSC2016 is this block called Double Star or Hope of Hartford.  It's basically just a double pinwheel block offset with a center square.  I pieced the orange one first, from memory, then went back and checked to make sure I was doing it right.  I think I like the light/med/dark distribution on the green one better than the orange one.

It's a pretty simple block, with just the partial seaming to give it some interest.  Another 5" block to add to my collection.

With all the possible RSC blocks I'm currently in love with, and the difficulty I'm having in cutting some from the herd, I'm starting to think I might just do a different couple of blocks each week of the month, until I either end up with a huge stack of quilts, or decide to ditch some of them for 2017.  No harm, no foul, and I don't have to make any hard decisions.
Just keeping my options open, right?  Getting to be wishy-washy is just a bonus...

Monday, November 23, 2015

Rolling up the rainbow

All the rows of the rainbow Ohio stars are sewn together.  (And, man, I've got to think of a name for this quilt soon...)

With everything pressed good and flat, seams pointing in opposite directions, I stacked the rows neatly in order, from one corner to the other.

And in the hopes of not having to press them all again next time I get ready to lay them out, I rolled them neatly up into a sausage.
Mmmm...  sausage...

And then I got out the vacuum cleaner and spent an hour slurping up all those little thready bits that you can see in the backgrounds of these photos.  Oh, and those little dogear bits on the floor by my sewing table.
Not that quilting is messy or anything.   I put all that stuff on the floor on purpose.  You know, for decoration.
And because I like vacuuming.  Uh huh.

I'm going to be using this as my post for RSC this week at So Scrappy.  Come see all the rainbow fun!