Monday, November 6, 2023

Okay, lets see if I can remember how to work this thing...

 I didn't mean to wander off for quite so long.  Stuff happens and then more stuff, and then I kept thinking "oh, I'll need to make a long blog post to catch up" and that seemed too exhausting to even start...

So.

I'm just going to pretend I've been here all along.

I've had a great yen to make Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Trips quilts for a long time, and when Cathy made hers using 2" strips rather than 2.5" strips, I was sold!


I started cutting 2" strips at lengths of a smidgen more than 12", and then had a sudden inspiration.  There's another quilt I want to make using a lot of 2" squares sewn in strips - Quilted Twins Dots and Dashes.  Here's the picture from their website:



The block needs strips consisting of 5, 7, and 9 squares sewed together, and the 6-square strips I was already cutting for Scrappy Trips would give me a lovely jumpstart. 

 I started cutting longer strips for sewing into strata, cutting off the 6 units I needed for my scrappy trips block, and then cutting more 2" units to use toward Dots and Dashes.





Sometimes I even get a little bonus of 2 or 3 square offcuts.

Next thing I knew, I had 16 Dots and Dashes blocks assembled.


It's like leader/enders on steroids...


17 comments:

Chantal said...

Hellllloooooooo! So happy to have you in Blogland again. I missed you. I love your latest projects. I always admire a good Scrappy Trip quilt. Love what you have so far. Dots and Dashes has been on my to-do list for a long, long time. Maybe I'll give that one a go next. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy seeing yours grow. Enjoy! ;^)

Cathy said...

I'm glad to see you have dusted off your blog and have a couple of scraptastic goodies to show off! Welcome back!!!

Sally Trude said...

My work is done…time for a blog nap. And be careful of what you wish for…time to start a Dots and Dashes quilt.

Judy said...

Good to see you. I like the new ideas you are pursuing. I haven't done much between doctor's appointments and hospital stays. Getting old is for the birds!

Quilting Babcia said...

Welcome back from your very long blog vacation! So nice to see your current projects.

MissPat said...

She lives! Well, I knew you were still alive because you comment on other blogs. So you've been shamed into dusting off the blog. Good to see you back and both these quilts are right up your alley.
Pat

Vireya said...

Nice to see you pop up in my blog reader feed again!

Cherie Moore said...

Glad to see you back :) I too have been wanting to make Bonnie’s Scrappy Trips…..I’ve already made a Dots and Dashes quilt but what a fabulous idea to do strip piecing for both….seems like I should make another one, right?

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you re back in blog-land. I have missed you so much.
Thank you Sally for waking her up, BUT please don't you take a nap
from blog-land again
I love the "new" quilts. Dots and Dashes has been on my list foe a while, perhaps yours will push me to the start line
idaho-kcatcenturylinkdotnt

Linda Swanekamp said...

Super helpful post. I did make a 2 1/2 strip Scrappy Trips and loved it. Not quilted yet. So grand to have discovered you due to some of my favorite bloggers posting about your QAL.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

There you are!!!!!

Loving all the scrappy inspiration again!!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Well hello Gayle. Lovely to see a post from you this morning. Loving your TATW blocks, always an excellent way to use some scraps up.

Magpie Sue said...

Welcome back! We've missed you! I've done several Scrappy Trips quilts, but never such narrow strips. I generally like to use 3" strips. They make 15" blocks and it only takes 20 or so to get a decent sized quilt top. 😁

audrey said...

Definitely pretend you've been here all along. Glad to see you back and doing your quilty magic.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

Gayle, how great to see you back again!!! I think of you often and hoped all was well with you. and god to see you've been busy creating two deliciously scrappy quilts.

Mary said...

I've been wanting to make that scrappy trip quilt for a long time. What a clever idea to cut longer to get two quilts going at once! They're going to be awesome.
Glad you're back to blogging.

Nann said...

Welcome back, Gail -- wonderful scrappiness!