Saturday, March 5, 2022

End of the (Rhododendron) Trail

So when I last checked in, I had wandered off the Rhododendron Trail this far: 

so I carried on a bit farther into the weeds and made a couple of test blocks.


A bit of scrumbling around in the stash gave me that nifty blue border, and I decided that a touch of red wouldn't go amiss as a stop border.


At this point the sensible portion of my brain (you know, the bit that isn't mostly made up of gumballs and squirrels) whispered "Psst...  If you were making a baby quilt, you'd be almost done already..." 


and for a wonder, I actually listened.


Tada! I'm thinking a binding of either red or yellow (or possibly red AND yellow?) would finish this off nicely.  Or maybe pink...

I enjoy doing Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilts every year and will happily join in on the next one.  It just cracks me up that I ended up with something SO different this year!  You never know where the trail will lead you!

My RSC Chips blocks made dandy leader/enders while all that rhododendroning was going on.

Now I'm be marching on to March's yellows and golds.  

Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap! Come join the fun!






21 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think your Rhododendron version is perfect, Gayle! It's probably about as big as I would manage. :) And the Chips look like a lot of fun, too!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love it!

Libby in TN said...

A friend of mine made the whole quilt -- it's huge! And so many little busy pieces. I applaud your effort! (And silently say thank goodness I didn't start this one!)

Chantal said...

Congratulations on not getting lost on that trail. There were so many twists and turns, and ups and downs, and yet you persevered. Kudos! I love the end result, Gayle. It's so sweet. Love the Chips too. Enjoy! ;^)

Ivani said...

I like your Rhododendron version, Gayle.
And those aqua Chips look like a lot os fun.

Julierose said...

Lovely Rhodie Trail --I wouldn't have even gotten my hiking shoes on with this one--so many pieces--yikes. But it is beautiful in your chosen colors--BRAVO for you!!:))) Hugs, Julierose

sue s said...

I actually have enough pieces of Rhodo to make a baby quilt too! Great idea and I love how yours turned out. I hadn't been thrilled with this year's colors but could finish this and donate.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your RT looks great and am liking your chip blocks. I was thinking about chip blocks for my RSC2022 so excited to see yours!

Cathy said...

It's kind of weird but this year I have seen quite a few folks change up the BH mystery. Yours made for a very nice baby quilt with secondary design in the center.

And your chips are looking very chipper.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good for you for listening to that inner voice about stopping at a baby size quilt. I swear to goodness this is the last year I am going to fall for the Mystery's color palette pull. Resistance may be futile but I'm going to try.

MissPat said...

I'm very impressed with both your adaptation to the BH mystery and the fact that you were able to stop at 4 blocks. A wise decision and a lovely baby quilt. I haven't even attempted the last two mysteries and finally put the fabric pull for Frolic away when I concluded the paltry start I made was never going to advance to anything useful. So now that that's done you can start 3 new projects.
Pat

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on your completed RT baby quilt top, Gayle, and have fun with March's sunny YELLOW/GOLD scraps for the RSC!!

Bonnie said...

Great job making RT your own. Heck you got way more done than me. I didn't even try! I think the two color binding would be fabulous.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What? You stopped at a baby quilt? It really did turn out nicely. I have been trying to make some smaller quilts too. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your RT is too cute and a perfect baby quilt. Any finish is good!

Vireya said...

I like where the Rhododendron Trail led you!

O'Quilts said...

i love it....great creativity in color ox

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love it! I'm busy making smaller quilts at present, lots of reasons, but mainly because there are too many other things I want to try too.

Sally Trude said...

It is amazing how off the trail and wonderful your version is. And now I have to go get some gum drops for my squirrels…instead of that nasty woodpecker food.

Mystic Quilter said...

Good decision to make these blocks into a cute baby quilt, I do ike your fabric colour choices.

Kate said...

Your off the trail blocks turned out beautifully! I've gone a bit off the trail as well, all those hourglass blocks just aren't computing for me.