Saturday, August 29, 2020

Purple's last hurrah

 Well, here we are at the end of August, which has been purple month for the RSC.

I made another cake stand -


and another postage stamp block for PSP20.

I'll miss you, purple!


And Demented marches on.  This stack has enough blocks to form the second quadrant, which means I'm past the halfway point of this stage.


I kept going and have another stack of blocks growing, but I haven't counted them to see if quadrant three is good to go.

The twosies are really piling up -


and here's what's left of the 256, waiting to be paired up.


Out of curiosity, I counted that little stack and - horrors! - came up with an odd number.

Since I'm sewing them together in pairs, this is Not Good News.

Possibilities:

1) I miscounted the blocks.

2) I made 1 too many blocks.

3) Or I made 3 too many blocks.

4) I made 1 too few blocks.

5) Or I made 3 too few.

I'm pretty sure I can throw out  #3 and #5, but the others are entirely possible.

I can go through and count everything again, or I can just leave it as a problem for Future Gayle and carry on sewing.

I'm going with the second option.  

After all, sometimes surprises are good, right?


Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come enjoy the last of the purple!

21 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Well, I hope it's the "one too many" option rather than the other! Your cakestand block is so fun - they're still tempting me!

The Joyful Quilter said...

TWO pretty PURPLE blocks to add to your collections, Gayle. Nice work! By the way, I don't blame you for saving the Demented conundrum for Future Gayle. :P

Julierose said...

Cake Stand is really lovely in purples...
Gosh I hope it's one too many--or you mis-counted...;000
Hugs julierose

Turid said...

I love your postage stamp block. So many things to find when studying.

Libby in TN said...

My counts never come out as planned. Here's hoping it's too many, but it won't take long to whip up another!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I always miscount, I can count the same pile 3 or 4 times and come up with a different number every time! Love your cake stand blocks but I was waiting to see what the newest squirrel is since the cake stands are an official project now. Happy stitching!

cityquilter grace said...

you could always make one more...LOL...

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow! Love your take on the cake stand block, with that fabulous purple for a background! I've been admiring your postage stamp blocks for a while, but Demented really takes the cake! Such wonderful scrapiness just blows me away.

Linda said...

Great purple blocks. Especially like the Cake stand block, great outer fabric which makes the centres stand out so well. Your Demented quilt looks fabulous!

Rebecca Grace said...

Leave it as a "problem for Future Gayle?!" Hah! Poor Future Gayle!! :-). Your cake stand block looks fabulous. Great use of that print fabric!

Chantal said...

Oh my! That Cake Stand block is so "groovy"! I love it! I put my money on your miscounted. Either the first time or the second time but you just miscounted. :^D
I have lots of triangles that I should be playing with too. Not sure I would do this quilt though regardless how wonderful is it. You go, girl. Getherdone! ;^)

Magpie Sue said...

Somehow your Demented blocks look better to me than the ones I've made. Yours make me happy, mine make me sad. So I quit making them. It's back to Shoofly blocks for me!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Keep sewing - your lost block will suddenly appear. You are getting closer to a finish. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That always seems to end up happening to me with my Leaders and Enders.
Usually I count, think I have the right amount, then start assembling, and all of a sudden I am missing one (or three). So I make more. Then I find the ones I was missing!

Louise said...

I think it's the counting per se that is the problem. If you never count the blocks, you'll never have the wrong number. Ignorance is bliss.

LA Paylor said...

something goes on with blocks behind our backs... someone reproduces or someone gets bumped off...you're posts are always so interesting with your fun writing style

Susie H said...

I'm going with miscount. I do that all the time and I feel like you're trying to make me feel better! Lol! Good choice with option 2. Let the dust settle then think about going back to the original problem.

grammajudyb said...

I don’t think I’ve heard or paid attention to Demented blocks! Looks like a good name for a block with tiny HST! I’ll be watching to see the progress on that one!

QuiltGranma said...

I like making sure I have extra blocks, because it is fun to make a second quilt with the ones not chosen for whatever reason into the big quilt.

Kate said...

Your RSC blocks turned out beautifully. It's so hard to keep count when you have that many blocks. Letting the future Gail deal with it sounds like a great plan.

Nancy said...

Demented certainly requires real commitment. So many blocks to make, it would be easy to lose count. I hope you have extra and not too few.
I love your cake stand blocks. You have such an amazing array of fabric!