Sunday, August 23, 2020

Rolling along in my own Totally Demented way

 Cue the confetti!  Totally Demented is in the final stretch!

I finally hit my target of 256 blocks for this mammoth of a quilt!  

(Unless I've miscounted)  (I'm sure I haven't miscounted)  (Well, pretty sure)  (I'm pretending I haven't miscounted)  (La la la)

Part of the process - which was necessary but slowed me down considerably - was twirling all those little seams as I went along.  It's going to make the final assembly easier, but oh my - what a pain in the butt at the beginning!


However, I am NOT continuing this twirly mayhem as I start making the small blocks into larger blocks.  If my thinking is correct (but remember what I've named this quilt), when I combine these bigger blocks into even bigger blocks, the seams will still nest.



My process so far has been to sew blocks together into pairs until I'm thoroughly bored, then sew pairs into foursies until I get sick of that.


Back and forth between twosies and foursies, twosies and foursies...

Fairly quickly I had enough to put up on my hastily cleared design wall.

I got so excited that I put together four more.


And then since it was going so well, I just kept rolling!


And that's enough for one fourth of the quilt!

I've got a stack of twosies still by the machine, and lots more blocks to sew together, but the quilt is starting to look real!

Every time I look at it, I make a little 'woohoo' noise - which makes me think I might actually finish it at some not-too-distant point.  

Woohoo!


Linking with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  (I didn't get any RSC sewing done AT ALL this week, unfortunately, so I'm skipping my usual other link.  Next week for sure!)










24 comments:

Sally Trude said...

And here I thought this quilt was called demented for all the pieces in a block. Didn’t know it was really Dizzy Demented with twirling.

Libby in TN said...

Woohoo, indeed! The twirling should be worth the effort in the end, but I agree it's labor intensive.

Julie in GA said...

All those pieces, and that's only a quarter of the quilt? Demented indeed! (But it's going to be gorgeous!)

Quilting Babcia said...

Makes my mind spin just thinking about all that twirling!

maggie fellow said...

that really looks good putting it together

Chantal said...

What do you mean that's only a fourth of the quilt? What are you trying to do? Cover half of your state? Unless I misread the size of the HSTs, this quilt is huge!! Praying for you to keep sane while finishing it, lol. ;^)
P.S. It looks so awesome already!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This is looking amazing. I can't believe how big it is going to be. Definitely demented :)

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Anonymous said...

So cute!

Vireya said...

Totally fantastic!

Mystic Quilter said...

I can't quite get my head around the fact this is just one quarter of the quilt!! You need a medal Gayle.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What they said! ⬆️ This one is going to be so amazing, Gayle, even if it is demented! I love it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fantastic!!! I see some PURPLE in your Demented quilt, Gayle. You totally could have linked up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!

Cherie in St Louis said...

Woo hoo!!!! I actually like twirling the seams so maybe I’m demented!

Marly said...

And I wondered why these blocks were "demented"! It's certainly stunning when you see so many blocks together, and you say this is only one quarter? This will be one focal point in any bedroom!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your quilt is looking so wonderful! Sewing is much more fun when we're really excited about what we're sewing! But I was surprised to see no squirrels in this post. I'm sure you've got one lurking that you just didn't mention. Happy stitching!

Angie said...

Woo-hoo indeed! Keep it going!

Cathy said...

I knew there was a reason I never showed a picture of the back of mine!
Keep on rolling!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

One fourth? You truly are demented! But it is really stunning!

Magpie Sue said...

Congratulations on achieving the number of blocks you planned for Demented (of course you've counted correctly!). I fully expect to see the completed quilt top by next weekend. ;-)

QuiltGranma said...

Woo-woo! Definitely love it when a plan comes together! Looking GOOD!

Ann said...

Congrats on getting the seams correctly aligned. That's a big job that no one sees unless it's wrong. Ha.
What a great way to use up scraps. And it's cheery. Just what we need these days.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You are a better quilt maker than I am - I don't twirl any of my seams (gasp). Your blocks are so much fun -- congrats on making so much progress.

Louise said...

Woo to the Hoo!! Demented are you! Twosies then four! Sew a little more!

Donnie said...

Inspiring! Can’t wait to see more.