Monday, July 13, 2020

Three layers deep

Well, not all days are this productive - especially lately.  But after a few mis-starts, I managed to get a few things accomplished.

My Frolic (Bonnie Hunter's 2019 Winter Mystery) was so close to the finish line that I could hear its little footsteps.  I zipped through the last HSTs for the borders and stitched them into nice long strings.

There was an oops, of course, because there's always an oops.


I managed to sew the border strips together wrong way round.  Luckily I'd only done one set before seeing my error.


There.  That's better.

Then it was time for the Math Meltdown.  I'd been willfully denying that there was going to be a problem with those borders.  I'd made my quilt smaller than Bonnie's, so her border lengths were going to be different from mine.  The part that I was really trying not to think about was that I knew from my measuring for that yellow stop border that my quilt now measured an odd number.  Those HSTs finish with an even number.  

I started doing all kinds of mental gymnastics thinking about adding another HST to each border, then adding a second (extremely narrow) stop border to fill the gap.  Multiply this, add that, subtract the other.

Meanwhile, the sensible part of my brain (I do have one - it's usually hiding waaaaaaaay in the back) was trying to get my attention.  

"Go away, I'm thinking," I told Sensible, and returned to trying to remember if I'd allowed for ALL the seam allowances.  Sensible wasn't having any of that, thank you very much, and proceeded to start squawking really loudly.

"What?!?" I said grumpily.

"Not bigger.  Smaller.  Measure and think."

The stop border measured 57".  My HST border measured 56.5".

Oh.

Duh.

Nevermind.

The borders practically sewed themselves on.


I pinned it to the design wall right over top of Unity, which I finished a couple of weeks ago and hadn't put away yet.  (I'm using it to remind myself that I really have gotten something accomplished in this Time of Weird.)

So since I was on such a roll of success, I grabbed Sand Castles and finished the last two seams on that one.


I added it to the design wall, too.

So that's two tops done today, which I'm pretty sure is a Personal Best.

And I've got tops three layers deep on the design wall.

And it looks to me like I can start a few new projects with an absolutely clear conscience...












16 comments:

julieQ said...

AWESOME!!!! wow, two finishes! You rock!

Ann said...

Wonderful to have two finishes. I'm having the same issues with math and my borders. Perhaps it's the month. Are you on summer vacation, too?

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, two amazing finishes, sew well done!

Gretchen Weaver said...

You have been on a roll! Don't you have some basket blocks lurking somewhere or was that someone else? Happy stitching!

Libby in TN said...

WOW! I want to drink your water! Now on to GitP.

Louise said...

It's so incredible to see these dense, scrappy tops all finished! Hooray for you!!

MissPat said...

Well done. It's been too hot in my house to sew so I've accomplished nothing lately. I'd say, if you've finished two tops in one day, that you should start at least 4 new projects just so you won't be bored. As Gretchen says, there are some baskets that you weren't making floating around somewhere.
Pat

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Both are soooooooooooooooo incredible!
Well done!

Sally Trude said...

What beautiful quilts. And kind of interesting that both are using yellow for zing. However...Finishing quilt tops and being sensible? I don’t really feel welcome here anymore.

Chantal said...

Whoop Whoop! Double congrats to you!! Borders are always so much fun says the one who trembles in front of them. You did an awesome job on this mystery quilt. Love the colours too. And about Sand Castles? Wowser! That is a stunning quilt! Will it have borders?
I think you are allowed to start two new projects since you have three finished. ;^)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congratulations - not sure I've ever had three deep on my design wall. You rock!!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh good for you with the finished tops, all you need to do now is quilt them and also begin a new project - or three!

Julierose said...

Lovely finishes--congratulations...I am trying to do finishes this month Too--mine are much smaller though, but still fun...Your pieces are soooo lovely Hugs from afar, julierose

Angie said...

Wow - way to roll! Congrats on your finishes! (Love your expression "Time of Weird" - perfect description!)

Vireya said...

Two fantastic tops! Congratulations.

Nancy said...

Wow, you've got two great finishes here, Gayle. Both are beautiful but I especially like Sand Castles. It's a treat for the eyes!