Saturday, January 4, 2020

Some assembly required



Now that the dust is settling on 2019, it's time to start putting together all those months of flying geese.

The geese blocks finish at 2"x4", and I'm inserting a 1" finished sashing in between the monthly columns.  In retrospect, I should have used a smaller goose to start with, because this quilt is going to be bigger than I had first visualized it.  I was thinking wallhanging size, but we're way into lap quilt territory and growing.  (This was increasingly clear as the months went on, but I firmly put my fingers in my ears and chanted la-la-la whenever I thought about it.  Just call me Cleopatra)

I've decided to put them together as quarters, then join the quarters together, just in the interest of reducing the goose wrestling a bit.  And I'm taking it slow and easy with frequent breaks, because that's a whole lotta triangle points goin' on.  My jaw gets tired from clenching my teeth...

Here you can see the first two quarters flying on the design wall.


Six more months to sew together, then it'll be time to put on headers and footers.  I have a plan!

And now that it's a whole new year, I'm trying to decide if I want to do another one of these things.


I'm trying to ignore the fact that last year when I bought a pocket calendar to record temps in, I could only find this one that was for two years.  I'm not taking that as a sign.  Really.  I'm NOT.

And here's what I'm using for leaders/ender while I'm sewing those long columns together.  (And when I need a break from all those goosey points)


I've got representatives of all seven clues we've had so far.  No way have I kept up with actual counts of each clue, but I'm still Frolicking along.  Even if I'm way back in everyone else's dust... 
Anyone else wondering when the neutrals are going to kick in?  The original list of fabric requirements called for buckets of neutrals and we've used hardly any.  Can't wait to see where this goes next!


11 comments:

Judy said...

If you are going to make another flying geese quilt have you looked at making the geese using this methodology? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y
I did a blog post on it here: https://judysquiltsandthings.blogspot.com/2011/06/quilt-for-belles-baby.html I found it a lot easier than a traditional flying geese block. Food for thought.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I'd like to make another temperature quilt, but next year as I haven't even quilted the last one.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your temperature quilt is my favorite of all the different kinds I've seen! I think it's all those geese flying! And Frolic looks like fun, too! I'm always curious to see what Bonnie does with her various units.

Chantal said...

Can't wait to see what's the plan with the Goosey Temp quilt. (You know you need to find a better name for that one sooner or later?) I love what I see so far. Also love your choice of colors for Frolic. Enjoy! ;^)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You are so close to a finished quilt top. I think it is going to be such a fun quilt!

Cathy said...

I've been seriously thinking of making a temperature quilt using HSTs or circles. Did you ever post on your fabrics and temperature ranges? I wasn't sure how far to break down those temp ranges or how much of each fabric would be needed. I don't want to use solids and I don't have much of some other fabrics so my assignments of fabrics to temps might be kind of wild.

Of course your temp quilt inspired these thoughts.

Louise said...

Having all the blocks of a temp quilt this far along is real dedication! I wonder how many quilters are 6 months behind. Most, I'm guessing. Now in the cold months is a great time to finish up a lap size and then put it to use immediately :)

MissPat said...

I've been wondering about the Frolic neutrals as well. We're leaving for 10 weeks in FL on Wed and I can't haul all the fabrics with me to work on it, so it will have to wait until I return. Every other year the reveal has been On New Year's Day. Oh well. I've resisted the temperature quilt phenomenon so far since I'd start out behind the eight ball right out of the gate. I have enough trouble catching jup with RSC.
Pat

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, your post today made me LAUGH out loud. I love the look of the temperature quilts but I really have no desire to make one - glad I can enjoy your process vicariously (and the two year planner - LOLOL). I have taken to using Bonnie's mystery colors to make one of my NOT a Mystery Quilts. Have finally decided on a design and hope to begin mine in this new year.

Ann said...

I'd like a flying geese quilt and you certainly chose beautiful colors. Good luck putting it together.

Mystic Quilter said...

The temperature quilt is a beauty! I have enjoyed watching it progress over the year and it's so colourful. You're adventurous thinking of a two year planner, I have yet to sort my plans out - next week will be the week!
I had forgotten that you're doing Frolic, guess it won't be long now before you have the last cue and busy stitching all the parts together, looking forward to seeing the quilt come along.
Happy New Year to you Gayle.