Friday, January 10, 2020

Great Frolicking Chaos, Batman!

Bonnie Hunter dropped Clue #8 this morning, so I printed it off and marched right upstairs like I knew what I was doing, and I turned this -


into this -


because I was well into the afternoon before I turned the page of my printout and saw that there was also a Part B to go with the Part A's that I had been sewing.
Wait, what?
I had two things working against me:  1) I hadn't printed off any of the other clues, and 2) I hadn't been making anywhere near the number of units that Bonnie is calling for.  Confusion was my new middle name.

The wisest course was to move on to other projects until I went back downstairs and printed off the other clues.  (The printer is happily humming along doing just that at the moment.)  I'll go back to it tomorrow with a fresh mind and a fistful of clues.

So obviously I moved right on to another project where I don't have a really firm grasp of what I'm doing. 
I've started making a temperature scale to go across the bottom of my Goosey Temps quilt, with each number made in the color that represents it.  Temps of zero and below are white, and temps between 10 and 20 show up in purple.  (Zero to 10 is gray, but my gray solid strip has gone temporarily missing (at least I hope it's temporary), so I'm skipping it for now.)


I haven't done this kind of lettering/numbering before, so it's a challenge.  By the time I get done I should be fairly good at it, but then I'll be done and it won't matter...

I still haven't decided what to do with the RSC this year.  I have several sets of blocks that I plan to roll over from previous years, but I've had way too much input of fabulous ideas lately (looking at you, Cathy) to make a rational decision about a new project.
Then I glanced down at my sewing table where I've been putting together those flying geese for Goosey Temps for the last year.  I have a LOT of triangles left over, cut in matching pairs.
Hmmm...  What could I do with pairs of triangles?
Aha!  I've long been admiring the quilts made by Lynn Dykstra at klein meisje quilts combining prints with solids.  And I've got a bunch of solids left, too...
So, before I was entirely sure what was happening, these two little cuties showed up on my table.


Not that I'm starting a new project.  Nope.  Not me.
I don't even know what to call these little doodads, so it's obviously not a project.  If I can't label a bin, it totally doesn't count.


Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.  Come see all the scrappy fun!


21 comments:

audrey said...

Piecing letters is frustrating at first, but then it gets easier. Love that you're not starting any new projects! lol I definitely am. First chance I get.:) And yes, love the idea of mixing solids with prints. It's a great way to emphasize some of our wonderful fabrics in a pretty easy, peasy way.

Libby in TN said...

I warned you! I'm SEW glad I didn't even print out the BH clues. Other than continuing a few RSC projects from 2019, I'm using the color-of-the-month to pull a UFO to work on. I have never attempted letters or numbers; maybe that should be a goal for 2020 ... I do have "Try something new" on my list!

Chantal said...

I've never done letters or numbers so you're on your own there girl. Sorry.
Not sure what happened in the second pictures but it looks like the cats spin in it. Sorry.
Love the last picture though. Oh that looks so nice! Looking forward to more of these ... not that you are starting something. Nope!
Enjoy! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your HST blocks combining prints and solids are definitely cuties! Great idea to make a key for your temp quilt, too. I hope you get your Frolic pieces and parts all straightened out - it's going to be fun to see what happens with them!

Elle said...

This is funny. Your HST blocks? I've been doing those for a few years. No repeats. One day it will be a quilt for us!

Have fun!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

So much scrappy fun.
I joined the Moda blockheads on facebook - first block drops midweek next week! This is going to be interesting!

Sally Trude said...

Oh dear. I haven’t been printing out clues either, so I just haven’t figured out that I’m in the Frolic weeds yet. And I’ve been eyeing the solid print combo quilts too...definitely have my eye on the postage stamp.

Angie said...

Wow - new phrase added to my personal lexicon! Great frolicking chaos indeed!

Quilter Kathy said...

Yah me too.... confusion is my middle name with all the mystery quilt parts and pieces laying around here... chaos!
And I'm not starting a new quilt either.... *snort*

MissPat said...

Seems like you've been saying no to new projects for a couple years now. My Frolic is in temporary (or not) retirement since I'm in FL and TX for 10 weeks. Couldn't bring all the parts, so I'm dead in the water on this week's clue. I bought my green and a bunch of neutral strips, figuring we hadn't used enough of either. Won't be the first mystery/SAL that's hasn't crossed the finish line. I've only made half the units.
Pat

Ann said...

I built up quite a collection of solids which haven't been used much. Mixing them with prints updates the look. You inspire me to pull an older project out and get going again.

Cathy said...

Two steps forward and one step back...doing the Mystery Dance!!

I find making letters difficult too. Yours look pretty darned good. Nice idea to add to your temperature quilt.

I thought I felt some eyes on me. Whew...just you, thank goodness.

HST blocks are a great idea. They can turn into so many other things too.

Magpie Sue said...

Those little doodads look like sails for a Ship block to me. Just sayin'. ;-)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I am afraid of Frolicing chaos so I haven't even started mine. I am waiting for the reveal with clues in hand. Starting a new quilt is a right you get when you turn to a new calendar. In fact, I think you can start as many as you want!

Louise said...

Do those Doo Dads! They are great and obviously don't count as a project. Bits and Bobs, Thingies and Such...this kind of miscellany is guilt free :)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love the idea of combining solids with prints! It adds a new fresh element and will help balance any 'wilder' prints I think.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, Gayle!! Thank you! I thought I was the ONLY person who had missed Bonnie's multi-stepped clues for the Frolic Mystery!!! (Fortunately, I haven't even been trying to keep up with the rest of the Bonniacs.)

Susie H said...

Hilarious ... yet guilty as charged! Isn't it amazing the different roads we go down without a plan or GPS in sight!?! Lol! Good luck!

Nann said...

Yes -- it gave me pause and a moment of panic, too!
It sounds like an IRS form -- take 25 sets from Part 7 and sew them into Section A units.
I did that. Then I saw all the other bags left and wondered whether I had forgotten something. After all, it was only a week ago that we got the instructions for Part 7. So I re-read -- and, whew, Section B of Part 8 made from units in Part 7 are just to be matched.
I admit I am not feeling so frolic-some at this point in the mystery.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great idea to add the numbers on your temperature quilt. I think that is brilliant! Making them does take a while but I know you will enjoy the challenge.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh it's so very easy to begin new projects when we already have quite a few on the go. I like to have a change in working with different projects every few days, also throw in a little machine quilting when time allows - which it doesn't at the present time.
Good luck with putting right the number of units etc for the Quiltville Mystery quilt!