Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Narrowing down the RSC2016 list


Well, a little, anyway.
Since I love stars, I definitely want a star block, but quite frankly it would be a relief to not have something as fiddly as Ohio Star.
Here's a possibility:


And here's a slightly scrappier version:


Oh, yeah.  Now we're talking. 


I like the positive/negative-ness of this design.  The fact that I can make it out of stock 2.5" strips and squares is a big plus.
This one makes the short list.
The only problem?  I don't know its name.  I worked out the block pattern from a picture of a quilt I saw somewhere online a while back.
Anybody out there know?  I don't want to spend all of next year referring to my umm-err-umm star blocks.
Though I will if I have to.

Another strong contender is the Broken Dishes block.  Easy peasy to make, again from 2.5" strips, and full of  possibilities. 

.
If I made a bunch of them from each color, I could have a lot of fun laying them out.  There could be dithering galore!

Okay, so far there are -

Kaleidoscopes (definite yes)
Chantal's pinwheel blocks (definite yes - I've been in love with her blocks all year)
Broken Dishes (maybe)  (probably)
Umm-err-umm stars (maybe)

I've still got several a few several blocks to sample, so my eventual orphan block quilt is going to be well-fed by the end of the year.
Hey, I could name it RSC Rejects!







8 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

i like the non-scrappy version the best.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I vote for the broken dishes. I would love to see a rainbow of those blocks!

Cathy said...

I really like the reverse 4p star or whatever that thing is. I think I like the one in two fabrics better than scrappy.

I was thinking about broken dishes too...just didn't know if I wanted to use 2.5 scraps or 4.5. I did make a few with 2.5 scraps this year when I had miscellaneous hsts left over from making depression blocks. Since I need a lot more of those depression blocks they will carry over into 2016 as well as 4 inch depression blocks.

Thanks for reminding me.



deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

I just made a Kaleidoscope the other day, thinking about next year but the middle was so bulky and hard to get to match up...it looked easy but in the end I didn't like mine at all and crossed it off the list :)

audrey said...

Your block looks very similar to the Indian Star but your geese are divided in half. Whatever, it's a great block with what you're using it for!

Chantal said...

I love your 4Patch Star (sorry don't know the real name either). I might add that one to my list of contenders. I laughed when I read that I am a contender on your list, lol. I am pleased to see you like this block too. So, if I have a block named after me, why not call the umm-err-umm star "Gayle's Star"? (for now anyway!!)Enjoy the process of elimination. (RSC Rejects sounds good by the way.)

Magpie Sue said...

Yup, RSC Rejects definitely has to become a quilt. Four Patch Star sounds good for the nameless block. Hey, if our great-great grandmothers could put names on blocks why can't we?

Nicky said...

Do you have to narrow them down? Love both of these. Thanks for linking to #scraptastictuesday