Friday, November 13, 2009

The trouble with spinning

Recently I've realized that I'm doing a lot less knitting since I learned to spin. Time that used to be used for knitting has gotten sucked up by the wheel. I now have a lot of yarn, but instead of knitting something with it, I grab more fiber and start spinning the next project.
For instance, I have a huge list of shawls I want to knit. Maplewing, Aeolian, Laminaria, to name a few. (My queue is now long enough to circle the earth at least three times.) I have patterns printed out, I've spun the yarn. I want I want I want to knit these shawls with a white-hot passion. Have I cast on any of them?
No. I'm spinning more yarn.
And we won't discuss how many fleeces I have in my craft room. Or the balls of roving.
Is there any way I can learn to knit using only my left foot? I need the right one for treadling, you see...

6 comments:

Anna M said...

I go in cycles with this, knitting for months then spinning for months. It's all good!

Besides, yarn takes far less room than fleece which means you have more room for more fleece which IIRC you will be getting three more of in the spring. (run on sentence much!!!)

p.s. my "word" today was loutpoo which brings to mind all kinds of things....

Cookie said...

I am very familiar with this problem. Plus I have the added factor of using a rented wheel, so I feel like I have to be getting my money's worth.

I try to spin when the sun it out and I can have good light and knit after dark because I can sit under a lamp to see.

Not sure what's going to happen now that the days are getting shorter. :?

Diane said...

I have the same problem and felt my acquisition-fever starting to get out of control. So I gave the borrowed spinning wheel back, put the spindle away and stopped buying fiber. I've gone back to knitting for a while. I've decided before I get back into spinning as a second hobby, I need to reduce the yarn stash more.

Bullwinkle said...

I have this mantra "no new crafts. two sticks and string."

It does nothing to curtail the stash but at least its all of one variety.

I'm so tempted to get a loom. (A loom of all things!)

Pat said...

OK - So THIS is where I'm headed huh? I already see it coming :-)

Laurie said...

It's a problem. But you will do what your heart tells you to do on any given crafting day. It's almost like trying to decide which child you love best. You don't have to make that decision.