Monday, November 9, 2009

Eggs!

Woohoo! The pullets are starting to lay!

Shown with one of our "normal" eggs, for scale. (Most of our hens lay eggs in the extra large range, with a few larges and some jumbos, just for fun.) Our little beginners start small, then gradually lay larger and larger eggs until they hit whatever size is normal for them. These pullet eggs usually turn up on the floor of the chicken coop, as the young ladies haven't quite figured out the nest boxes yet.

I always picture that first egg as quite the surprise - the little hen spinning around to look, with an exclamation of "What the hell was that?!?"

6 comments:

sophanne said...

What the hell was that?!? Holy crack me up!!! I usually think such thoughts and I've never had that one. Thanks so much.

Diane said...

If I laid an egg, I'd be thinking worse than that. :-O

Bullwinkle said...

Eeek!

Anna M said...

Reminds me of the first time a puppy really gives a huge bark.... they are usually soooo surprised!

Or the first time one of my puppies farted.... thought they'd been bit in the ass! and then Wes followed.... and the puppy jumped again!

I gotta love animals.

Laurie said...

Too funny!

Cookie said...

Woo Hoo!