Monday, September 7, 2020

My quilt has overpowered my design wall

 I've now got all four quadrants of Totally Demented put together and up on the design wall.


With ...umm ...parts of it draped artistically over the design floor.  And also flapping casually in the breeze off to the right.

This puppy is big.

As I finished each quadrant, I hung it up on the wall and tried to ignore the theme from Jaws that was now playing in the back of my head.  And getting louder.

Each quarter of the quilt is 48x48", and it's going to finish up at 96x96".

The thought of trying to wrestle that bulk through the harp of my sewing machine made me realize that I really would be totally demented by the finish.

Also bald.  From ripping my hair out as I cursed into the sky.

I calmed down considerably when it dawned on me that I can just quilt each quad separately and sew them all together afterward.

Aha!  I have a plan!

What could possibly go wrong?

(Shhh!  Don't tell me!)





10 comments:

Judy said...

You can quilt a 96" square in a regular sewing machine. I've done it several times. I used stitch in the ditch, lots and lots of straight line quilting. Free motion, curves, circles and outline quilting would be a royal pain.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There's got to be a technique for what you want to do. Quilt as you go, or something? I'd be a little worried about managing a quilt that size in my machine, too! But, no matter what, it's going to be amazing, Gayle!

Libby in TN said...

You crack me up! I approve of your quilting solution.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You could also sew the top completely together and quilt by checkbook ... With the number of seams to align between the quadrants, I’d be worried about the joins between the individually quilted sections. BUT you have made it this far and I’ve no doubt at all that you can make your plan work!

Cherie in St Louis said...

Ah, the best laid plans.....what could possibly go wrong with a quilt having demented in its name, right?? Bahahah!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I think you need to invest in a long-arm quilter.... just think of the possibilities!

Ann said...

Congrats on getting the quadrants finished. I've quilted larger quilts on my old domestic machine but finally think I need to limit the size I quilt, too. It gets harder these days. Ah, to be young and strong... and crazy.

Chantal said...

Congratulations! You got it down to only three more seams to sew. That's AWEsome!! I believe your plan for the quilting of this beast is an excellent one. It might even leave you with some sanity after all. lol. Enjoy! BTW, love how it looks. ;^)

Sally Trude said...

I come out of my digital sleep to see happy progress and solutions. I had a different solution...the quilt was hanging in a show when I noticed that I had missed quilting the middle part.

The Joyful Quilter said...

My good friend B has has great success with such a 'divide and conquer' quilting plan. Wishing you luck as you give the approach a try!