Saturday, June 20, 2020

Unity is united!

And it's huge!  I had to hang it sideways because I couldn't reach high enough to put it up rightways-up.



(And you can see how my 'design wall' is really just a big chunk of flannel clamped to a metal shelving unit.  Fancy!)

The only way I can fit the whole top into one photo is to sneak up on it from the side.



With that squirrel monster project wrapped up, I'll be able to get back to my sandcastles.


I had gotten this far in the webbing process when Unity grabbed my attention.  (There was some mask-sewing going on, too.) (And procrastinating.  Don't forget the procrastinating!)
I've done webbing on small quilts and quilt blocks, so I thought I'd give it a try for this quilt.  Final verdict?  I'm not too keen on it.  I can see the logic of the process, but my sewing machine workspace is small and trying to heft around a whole quilts-worth of quilt blocks over and over again in order to sew the top together is more work than I want to tackle.  I'm gonna stick to sewing a row at a time, even if it means hopping up and down a bunch of times to grab the next batch of blocks.  (It's not good to sit for too long anyway, right?)

In other news, I sewed another doodad - this one is either green for May or pink for June.  Or both.  Why not both?



Then, since my pink postage stamp block for the month is already made, I figured I'd better go back and catch up the months I missed with the late start.



(Of course I picked orange to start with.  Is anyone surprised?)

And here are the three postage stamp blocks  I've made so far:



I think it's going to be fun!

Now, back to the Sand Castles.  And Totally Demented has been waving at me every time I walk by.  Might have to do something about that, too...

Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come share in the scrappy rainbow fun!






28 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

ROFL!! Not ONE BIT surprised that you went back to catch up on orange, Gayle. Your Unity is beautious monstrosity! Best of luck on working your Sand Castles back into the sewing rotation.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Look at that amazing Unity quilt top! That's beautiful, Gayle! I love that orange postage stamp block, too - lots of pretty color. You've been busy!

Julierose said...

Loving the postage blocks..the orange is super...hugs from homebase Julierose

Cherie in St Louis said...

Wow!!! Your Unity quilt is awesome!! I agree with you about webbing large quilts and only do it for quilts were rotating blocks causes problems. I actually prefer to sew in sections and ending with 4 quadrants. That way there is only one long seam to sew.

Libby in TN said...

I agree, webbing is not my preference, especially for large projects. Oh, thank you for mentioning Totally Demented! I recently located my partially finished (probably a quadrant) of the quilt and couldn't remember what it is called or how it goes together. Can you send me a pic, a link, a something?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

unity is INCREDIBLE!!!
And you know I love those sand castles

Chantal said...

Oh! My! But seriously, Gayle, it's HUGE! and as wonderful as it is big. Congrats on the flimsy. You already have three postage stamp blocks made and you remind us not to forget procrastination! I think you've accomplished a lot. Gosh! Unity is gorgeous!
I don't mind webbing for a 9-patch block or something simple but not for a quilt. For the same reason as you. Getting up to catch the next row of blocks is good for my knees.
I haven't sewn much so don't have much to show. Looking forward to see Sandcastles and Demented. But Unity! Did I mentioned that I think it is a gorgeous quilt? ♥ ;^)

Vireya said...

Unity looks great!

Dorothy said...

Love your Unity, I stopped mine with the flying geese because that was the right size for me. Then went on to make Step 7 as it's own quilt which ended up approximately 71" square (set on point). Am now working on Step 8 as it's own quilt too. Haven't figured out what size it will end up, as I am doing this by the seat of my pants LOL

Mystic Quilter said...

Your Unity quilt really does look amazing - but huge, huge, huge!! What's the size Gayle?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That is a monster size quilt! I don't like to use the web method with large quilts either - just too much bulk and mess. It's row, row, row - for me.

Angie said...

Holy cow! That Unity quilt is a big 'un! And gorgeous, to boot! I'm with you on the not liking the webbing idea. I'd rather get my behind up and out of the chair more frequently!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Wow--good for you getting Unity finished--it looks amazing! The postage stamp blocks are super fun too!

Louise said...

Congratulations on making the entire Unity quilt! Not many folks can make that claim. Yours looks great, and I can't believe it was a squirrel project for you. I agree with your webbing assessment, even for smaller projects. My space is just too small to be dealing with the whole darn quilt even one minute before I have to :)

MissPat said...

I'm happy to see that so many other people don't like webbing. Like Cherie, I prefer to sew in sections. And I'm glad I didn't attempt to start Unity when I see how big it became. I'd forgotten about Demented and I'm still looking for what happened to those monkeys.
Pat

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Beautiful Quilt..love the postage stamp blocks.
Have a great day!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, Unity is a beauty, a huge beauty ;) Lovely new blocks!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Congratulations on the quilt top finish. I am happy to see sand castles are back in the spotlight. I really like that design.

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful job on Unity!!! I just quilted two of them--a client's and my own. Oh my! That is one huge quilt with a million tiny pieces. Great job hanging in there to the finished top line!

Cathy said...

Congrats on Unity. It's gorgeous! Glad you are getting back to the Sand Castles- another one that will be gorgeous.

Small harp and work area here too but I'm a webber and usually just sew blocks together randomly.

Mari said...

Your postage stamps look awesome, and so does Unity. Can't wait to see the Sand Castles!

Linda said...

Wow that Unity quilt is huge. Looks great. Well done. Love the postage stamp blocks. Good idea to use the RSC colour of the month in a solid colour. Looks so affective.

Ann said...

Congratulations on sewing that beautiful Unity top. Medallion quilts look so good on beds IMO. How fortunate you have this lovely to put there soon. I can't wait to see more of your Sand Castles.
Like you, procrastinating has increased during the pandemic.

QuiltGranma said...

Loving your sense of humor... um... are you by chance channeling Barbara at Cat Patches? giggle!

Sally Trude said...

Procrastinating is obviously a very busy state... Unity is amazing. And I'm so happy to see that the pink postage block has new friends.

Rebecca Grace said...

Yes, add my voice to all the others who are "oohing and aahhing" over your spectacular Unity!! It's gorgeous, and I love that you called it a Squirrel Monster. :-).

cityquilter grace said...

huge? no surprise...most of bonnie's quilts are

audrey said...

Wonderful work on your Unity quilt! It really is a monster of a quilt. Such detail, wow! I'm sure you are glad to wrap that part up.:) Love seeing your postage stamp blocks and orange is a perfect color to start with. Great way to get in the mood!