Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Well of course I'm doing the new Bonnie Hunter mystery

I hesitated for about two minutes before jumping into this one.  It's a medallion quilt and I love medallion quilts.  And I couldn't possibly miss a chance to start another quilt, could I?

Yesterday's progress -


bits made and laid out for a photo op.


Then today I got them assembled.



After I got it together, I noticed two different places where identical reds were too close together, but I decided it didn't bug me enough to make me rip it out and re-position them.  So be it.  If I know my Bonnie Hunter quilts, this thing will be big enough and busy enough that it can't possibly matter.

Today's task was also to start the webbing of the Sand Castles.


Three columns down, five to go.

And speaking of Sand Castles, I had one of those "well, duh" moments while trying to decide what should go in the empty Sand Castle bin.

How about the second Sand Castle - the one in reds with black and white?  The one I've already started making?


I don't even have to change the label.




12 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I stopped reading BH so I won't even be tempted! Your second Sandcastles is going to be as stunning as the first.

Chantal said...

Wait! What? You started a new quilt? Uh! You tell me TWO! Bwahahaha! Good for you! I'm happy for you. Now I don't have to worry about you. I know you'll be home, sewing away every bobbins you have. Great job on the Sew in Place. Love your colorway. Enjoy! ;^)

Julierose said...

Your 1st Sandcastles is just lovely and I like the color choices for the 2nd, too. There are so many QAL's SAl's etc out there. I have enough to just follow RSC each month and now my "startitis" is satisfied in making a new king-sized (yup certifiably crazy I am) bed quilt for us-- out of Courthouse Steps blocks--that keeps me from any new "starting fits"...
~ ~ ~ stay safe at home Julierose;)))

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh - that's a neat new one

Mystic Quilter said...

I did wonder if you would be in for the latest Bonnie Hunter sew along!!! So, a second Sand Castles, I'm not surprised, your first one is a beauty and the second will be the same I'm sure.

Kathy S. said...

Glad to see you along with the Unity QA. I was going to resist because I wasn't in the mood to choose colors. I thought about it for a day and decided to go with all neutrals. Again we are sewing the same quilt in different color schemes. I LOVE it. The brown looks great in your quilt.

I will not be making a second Sand Castles quilt though. I have plenty of other UFO's to choose. Happy sewing.

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE the new version of sandcastles - LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I don't follow BH's blog so I didn't know she was up to a new mystery - thanks for the heads up. Not sure if I'll join in or not but I'll save off the directions in case I change my mind. (it's a good possibility I will do it . . . )

Sally Trude said...

I will live the mystery through you.But I like your idea of starting new quilts. And it is very generous of Lynx to allow it. I have helicopter cats who have developed a strict schedule for me now that, like them, I am no longer free roaming.

Louise said...

So if the "sand" in sand castles is the beige-y neutral, what will the black and white be? Newspaper Castles? Dalmatian Castles? Your medallion looks great so far :)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Sand Castles is so bright and cheery. You have a wonderful start on Bonnie's latest mystery. Pretty colours you've chosen. It is my dream to have the skills to do one of her designs.

Magpie Sue said...

I somehow missed this post. How very convenient that you don't have to change the label on your Sand Castle bin. That's a perfectly good reason not to start a new Sand Castle quilt. It's not a new project, merely an extension of an on-going project! And of course you had to play along with Bonnie's new mystery quilt. If you didn't, who would?! :D