Friday, March 6, 2020

Goosey goosey update

Apparently I'm writing blog posts in my dreams but not in real life again, because I was sure I'd posted some of these pics with an update on my temperature quilt progress.

When last I'd made a non-imaginary post, I had most of my numbers together for running a legend across the bottom of the quilt, indicating which color stood for which temperature.


I finally got them all done and was quite pleased with how they were going to look.


But then I had A Better Idea.
With all those angles in the flying geese blocks, those squares ended up looking chunky and clumsy.  So I grabbed some background squares and did some quick flippy corners.


Oh, yeah.  Much better.


I sewed them together into a strip, then hung up some red background fabric along the bottom of the design wall, hung up the main body of the quilt, and centered the strip of numbers below, just to see how it would look.


Uh oh.


I really wanted the strip of numbers to be the same width as the columns of geese, and in my head it was going to work.  But here's a clear example of how estimates can differ from reality.

I spent a quality afternoon with my friend Jack the Ripper and started taking out seams so I could cheat out some of that width.  Slivering a quarter inch here and an eighth inch there can all add up.

Finally, ta-da!


There.  The bottom is done.  I still have to cut strips and sew the whole border together, but at least now it's going to fit.

Onward to the top border.  More numbers.  Yay.


15 comments:

Chantal said...

Oh yes. That's great editing. I love the triangle touch. Your quilt is so cool ... or do I mean hot? Anywho! It's AWESOME!!! Great job! ;^)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a great addition to this quilt. Love it set in red and the numbers (temps).

Marly said...

Beautiful! The red background is a great feature. I admire your perseverance in making the number border fit; it was worth it!

Libby in TN said...

Cool! Or is it Warm? The angles did the job, but sorry you had to edit so much.

Laura said...

I have never been a fan of temp quilts, but I really like your version! The red pops, and I love the number border! Great job! :)

Louise said...

The numbers really look super against the red background. I'm glad you didn't need to use red as a temperature indicator color. That would be too much global warming! I think I might have sewn tiny extra seams right into the row instead of ripping, but I'm kinda lazy that way :)

Julierose said...

Great piece! i love that bottom strip with the temp colors...hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Totally worth the effort!!!!!

Angie said...

Very cool (no pun intended)! The triangles in the legend are perfect!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Wow. That's pretty awesome!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That was a great way to fix something that bothered you, Gayle! Looking forward to seeing how you finish this one!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This quilt is turning into my all-time favorite temperature quilt. Great job!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Great idea for the indication of the temperature and I love the quilt Gayle.

QuiltGranma said...

So, it doesn't get any colder than 0 and no hotter than 90? Wow, you must live in some kind of UTOPIA!

Sally Trude said...

I really liked how it looked before...but zounds, the new version is downright spiffy. Meanwhile, I really need you to finish your 2019 quilt before 2020 devours every brain cell.