Friday, November 1, 2019

Beginning to Frolic

Bonnie Hunter announced her Mystery Quilt for 2019 yesterday and I'm already pulling fabrics.  Preparing to Frolic!

When I first saw her colors, my mind insisted on seeing purple in place of her blues.  I kept scanning down through her list and going 'hmm.'  Blues - check; fuchsia - always a good choice; aqua - eh I guess; limey green?  Starting to pause here.

But I gave it the benefit of the doubt and started rooting around in my stash.


And, well, okay.  It looks a little better in this photo than it did on the cutting table, but...

I realized that my heart was still yearning for those purples I'd first imagined.  Back to the stash I went and grabbed the nearest purples.  And then I decided a bricky red/orange would look good with them, so I grabbed those too.  Then a couple of blues took the place of the aqua, and a golden yellow jumped in to sub for the lime-ass green.


Oh, yeah.  That's floating my boat a whole lot better.

And then I found a 2-yard piece of a nice butter yellow which would look good and be a great plenty for that yard and a half of constant.


I think I'm ready!

Though I had a funny deja vu feeling the whole time I was pulling these fabrics.  Then I had to laugh when I realized that I'd done this pull before when I was planning a(n as yet unstarted) bag.


I may be frolicking down a yellow brick road!




14 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I like your colors, but I am so NOT going there!

Sally Trude said...

I definitely like your approach of going straight to the fabric. I did get sidelined at first because I think I have a scrap of the fabric with blueberries--and I actually thought I could find it! And I think the trick is just to make sure that each set of colors have enough contrast with each other. I'm thinking of maybe having black fabrics for either the green or the aqua.

Chantal said...

For someone who is NOT starting a new quilt, you seem to be frolicking with the idea of playing in Bluebonnets. Hahaha! Love the purple set of fabric better than the first pull. As always I am not getting on that wagon before the reveal. Then, I'll see. But I will definitively cheer you on. Enjoy! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I saw purples in the photo of her fabric pull that she called blue, too - so it's not just you! I've never participated in a Quiltville mystery, but it's very tempting!

Cathy said...

I haven’t played in my fabrics yet since Bonnie’s announcement, but will probably go purple, too. Or at least on the purple side of the blue spectrum. And aqua skies just don’t compute with me. So we’ll see. Your colors are awesome!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You're definitely over the rainbow, if not all the way to Oz!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Very pretty array of fabrics. Good luck with this project. I wish I had the skills to do one of Bonnie's quilts.
I enjoyed seeing the quilts in your last post. I was agog over those tiny needleturned circles. Amazing work.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love it when someone take a pattern and makes it their own. Can't wait to see what your blocks look like. Happy Stitching!

MissPat said...

I knew when I read your comment on another blog (forgotten where, maybe Sally's) that orange was going to wind up accompanying your purple. I haven't decided whether to play this time. Too many other WIPs.
Pat

Louise said...

Oo, nice! I really like this color combo! I'm thinking I'll do reds/pinks in place of the blues and have roses instead of blue bonnets :)

Magpie Sue said...

I quite like that lime personally. I think it would be wonderful with purples! But since I'm not doing the mystery my opinion is just that, an opinion. I did go to Bonnie's web site to check it out but there are so many ads I gave up even reading the introductory post. :-(

Vivian said...

This what I love about the Quiltville mystery season! It's fun to see people start diving into their stash and then even better when they start playing with the color scheme. Ooh, I really like your Yellow Brick Road theme and think that fabric print is a hoot! I haven't decided whether to join in but if not I will be stitching along on some mystery WIPs. Look forward to seeing where your Frolic takes you!

Cathy said...

I like your color scheme better than the original.
I'm not going to be mysterious again this year so don't have to decide on a color scheme.

Chris said...

Lupines