Sunday, November 3, 2019

September now hath 30 days

Well, a quick check of the Weather Underground site (which is my source for my area's daily high and low temperatures) gave me the data for my missing September 30th flying goose.

Ta-da!


And after endless auditions of fabrics for sashing for these columns, I finally found a solution.  (I even dug out my January column and stuck it up on the right to make sure the winter months would look good, too)


I'd really painted myself into a corner with my color selections for this quilt.  Everything was in use:  gray, white, purple, blue, turquoise, green, yellow, orange, and red.  That left brown or hot pink, both of which looked awful. (trust me...)
I tried black, but the darker blues disappeared into it.
Dots, spots, and jots didn't work.
Stripes looked weird, whether I ran them horizontally or vertically.
And seriously, with all that color chaos, the sashing needed to be a solid of some sort just to calm things down.

I was really starting to despair when I had a sudden thought.  The only colors that I had to worry about were the ones representing the low temperatures because the 'geese' triangles stood for the highs and never touched the edges.  And since red represents temperatures about 90F, and because the nights (the lows) were never in the 90's (because seriously?  If the nights were in the 90's, I would have already moved to the north pole and I'd have had to start a whole other quilt anyway), that meant red was in play for a sashing possibility.

So, I gave it a try and it works!  And since the world is basically on fire nowadays, it seems like an appropriate choice.

I've got a darker shade of red somewhere in my stash which I'm going to dig out and audition before I start cutting.  But whew!  That's a load off my mind!



12 comments:

Vireya said...

Red looks terrific against your blues and greens of the lows. Inspired choice!

Ann said...

The red is perfect. Oh, I wish I had some myself.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh yes, red is the one! That's going to be great! What size did you make your geese?

Libby in TN said...

My favorite color! Though I rarely quilt with it ... hmmm.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh - a deep, dark red would be just perfect!

Chantal said...

When in doubt, add red. I can't remember who said that but it's right for this quilt. It looks maaarrrrvelous in red. ;^)

kmkat said...

No matter the question, the answer is always RED (or 42, depending on the day).

Nann said...

I discovered temperature quilts when I saw them at a local show this fall. Did you pick 2019 because it is a significant year, or just because it's now?

Annette Mandel said...

Did you try Orange? Lol

QuiltGranma said...

Good choice, and red will help it SING!

Sally Trude said...

Yes your choice for red is perfect. And I assume for that for each block you will quilt the windspeed and direction.

Cathy said...

Yes, red is the perfect choice. And I loved your reasoning. We all maybe heading to the North Pole eventually...