Saturday, March 2, 2019

Marching on into the green!

A new month means a new color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Behold the first green Sand Castle!


My Goosey Temps quilt marches on into march, too.
January and February are pictured here side by side, next to my triangle star blocks.  (My camera positively hates taking pictures of these strips.  Every photo turns out blurry, no matter what setting I use.  I hope it likes the finished quilt or you're never going to get a good look at it...)


And here's my first March goose:


Speaking of photos, here are two that I forgot to include in my last post.  When I was cutting out triangles for the triangle stars, I saved the ends of the strips.  Waste not, want not, right?


I'm sewing them together to make full triangles and using them randomly in the borders, just for a little added sparkle.


Otherwise I'd probably be tempted to design a whole 'nother quilt just to use them up.  I could see that squirrel coming from a mile away.


Linking with Soscrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!   Come see all the scrappy fun!

16 comments:

Chantal said...

Wow! You were fast to dig into the green bin. Lovely Sandcastle block btw. That's my kind of frugal; sewing ends of strips together to obtain another triangle. Clever girl, you! It would be a very interesting quilt, you know. (Wink!) Enjoy the green. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The thing I like about your sandcastle blocks is that any four patch will work, and the green background pulls them all together! Lots of good things going on in your sewing room, Gayle!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

So much scrappy fun!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a good idea, to sew the scrap triangles together! I'm going to try that, thanks!

Sally Trude said...

The temperature quilt is going to get interesting. And your clever use of the waste triangles makes me think that the temperature quilt should have varying degrees to the triangles to reflect wind speed.

chrisknits said...

Ah yes, the Squirrels that invade our lives. You have so much color going on there, I am sure every day in your sewing room is bright!

Louise said...

Why is it that leftover odds and ends from cutting can be so appealing? "Oh, look! Waste triangles! I'll make a whole quilt out of that RIGHT NOW instead of finishing this other project!" Asking for a friend :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have two projects right now that are causing secondary projects from the cut-offs -- the squirrels are alive and well and my house!

Kathy S. said...

Love your sand castle block in green! Can't wait to get to making those this month. Cute that you are sewing the triangle scraps together for extra sparkle. LOVE that idea!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm wondering if your Temperature Quilt columns just want some fresh air and bit of sunshine. Surely, you will manage a good photo when the top is complete!

Cathy said...

You are certainly adding sparkle to lots of things, you smart girl!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is always those tiny bits that get you in the most trouble. Great idea to put them in use in your border. Thanks for sharing all your pretty blocks with Oh Scrap!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Everything you sew is so colourful,neat and tidy. I come to be inspired and am never disappointed! Happy Stitching!

kmkat said...

You just keep your eye out for that squirrel! They are tricksy critters.

Mystic Quilter said...

The year is passing by quickly already, when I see the colour change with the RSC 2019 I think that time is moving pretty quickly these days. Good practice to hand onto the bits and pieces after cutting for a project, but they seem to multiply so very quickly.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty blocks!