Saturday, March 16, 2019

How Green Was My Sandcastle

Pretty darn green, as it turns out.  Here's one I finished last week -


and the two I got done this week.



That gives me four green ones so far, so I'll need two more to cover my goal of six blocks per month.  I need 64 total for the quilt, so at six per month for ten months, I'll be pretty close to that.  Make four more blocks?  No problem.  It's fun (and way too easy) to pick out a fabric and cut the squares and triangles necessary for a new block. 
Sand Castles may be the best leader/ender quilt ever, too.  The four-patches have been my go-to leader/ender for years, and the assembly of that middle unit works for l/e, too.  Even the strippy triangles lend themselves well to the process.  Those last two blocks went together as I was stitching up my triangle stars top.  (And hey, since I finished that top, I get to start four new projects, right?)

My other long-range project is still cooking along, too.  Here's my Goosey Temps strip for March so far.  (I haven't done yesterday or the day before yet - hoping I'll get to the sewing today)


This month has been a roller coaster, with temps varying between the 60's and below zero.
Sometimes on the same day...


Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday!  Come see all the green goodness!


11 comments:

LA Paylor said...

good job! This may be what stands in for Spring this year. Since we moved to CO, I've learned about weather mood swings... 60 F at noon, 0 at night, never know how to dress as it goes from frost to hot to cold. Are you flooded out? We're still looking out at ice and snow from the blizzard, but the sun is shining in a clear sky so it could melt some today.
LeeAnna

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those blocks look great, Gayle! I'm glad they're going together easily! I love the idea of making 4 patches as leaders and enders all the time. I can see where it would be so helpful to have a big collection of them!

Chantal said...

Are these Irish Sand Castles? They look Irish from here, lol, a good Irish, you know.
Of course, you may start four new projects. Let's see what else you got in that book "String Frenzy". I'm sure you can pick one or three out of that one. Ha! Don't forget Pinterest. it's good for inspiration too.
The weather is just as crazy up north too. There's no escaping its madness. Stay warm ... uh ... cool ...uh ... yep, whatever! ;^)

Nancy said...

Love your green blocks for this quilt, Gayle. Those little stars on the green background are just delightful!

Kathy S. said...

Triangle Stars is such a gorgeous quilt top. It's fine to start four more projects! I think I did. Yes, Sand Castles may be one of the most awesome leader/ender projects. I love seeing yours grow as well.

Jo said...

You are doing well with your blocks and great ideas for leaders and Enders. Don't fall behind on your temp quilt...

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love it all!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely GREEN blocks for the RSC, but more importantly, congratulations on completing the top of your gorgeous Triangle Star quilt!!!

Magpie Sue said...

Wait a minute, you get to start FOUR new projects because you completed ONE? That's some pretty fantastic math! Not that I'm complaining mind you, I think it's great!

Cathy said...

Nice to see those Sand Castles moving right along.

I think your Temperature quilt will be very interesting with the fluctuations in weather temps this year. We, too, have had below zero one day and close to 60 the next.

Looking forward to those new starts!

Kate said...

Your green sand castles worked out beautifully!