Friday, June 10, 2016

Yessir, yessir, three bags full. Well, two, actually...

I'd promised a reveal on that secret project, so here we go.
Last month Cynthia from Quilting is More Fun than Housework was featuring May is for Makers, and one of her posts highlighted Love from Beth's storage pods pattern.  While checking out the pattern on Craftsy, I saw something else by the designer.
This pattern is the one that caught my eye.  I no sooner saw it than I clicked on it to purchase.  It was absolutely what I had been looking for, without even knowing I was looking for it!

These bits 

(I thought I had more progess shots, but I was wrong)


were assembled into a hexie-shaped basket that I gave my oldest daughter for her birthday.  As you can see, she's already put it to use holding her needle-felting supplies.


The pattern was a bit more fiddly than I expected, but the result is truly satisfying.  I'll be making another in the not too distant future.

So, flushed with success, I moved on to making my third Sew Together bag - this one for me!  Once again, I thought I had more process shots.  Wrong again...
Here's the inside ready for the zipper-handle installation,


and here's what the outside looked like at that point as well.


The inside all finished -


and put to use.


This one will be my hand-sewing/applique organizer.  You can see some of my Quilty 365 orange peels already living inside.


If anyone is planning to make this bag (and you all should be - it's a terrific bag!), I found this tutorial really helpful.

So that's two bags full.  Now I'm ready for a third.  Anyone have a favorite bag pattern to recommend?
I'm always up for a new challenge.



 

5 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I ordered some zippers-on-a-roll with the intention of making some bags in the near future. I also ordered some basting spray with the intention of trying more quilting on my domestic machine. We'll see how either of those ideas go .....

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Wow, you got that together fast. I still need to sew up my pods but I got distracted by string quilts!

Chantal said...

Congrats Gayle. These bags are wonderful. I sure could use that kind of bags too. thanks for the temptation. I know I'll beautiful baggy dreams tonight lol. ;^)

Mystic Quilter said...

Both bags are just dandy!! Love the fabrics used, had I not been stuck with very stiff arthritis fingers which no longer work for me with zipper etc.these days, I would have tried one.

Vireya said...

The Sew Together Bag looks like an interesting bag. Might have to try that one myself.

My favourite useful bag is the zip-away shopping bag designed by Nicole Mallalieu. I've made it a few times - you can see one version on my blog here:
http://weednstitch.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/zip-away-pigs.html
There's a link in that blog post to where you can buy the pdf from Nicole, although it is also available on Craftsy.

If you do try it, I would recommend using a light-weight polyester or poly/cotton fabric for the bag section, as it will pack down into a smaller package. If you use patchwork cotton, the bag is a bit bulkier when zipped up.