Monday, September 28, 2009

Wine, Knittin', and Wrong (Only because that one was easier to come up with something than Shoes, Ships, and Sealing Wax, Cabbages and Kings)

The elderberry wine is happily bubbling away in its carboy. When a sufficiency of sediment has settled out, we'll re-rack it, then re-rack again if more sediment presents. Then into bottles it will go, corking will commence, and the wine will be laid down to age. Sometime around this time next year, we'll be tasting it. Then, and only then, will we know if we screwed it up or if we produced a wonder.

The ugly pillowcase that was sacrificed is now a new and terribly interesting color. It's still ugly, but it's now a prettier ugly.

Madman decided to re-pitch yeast in the mead and add some honey. (His avocation is beermaking, so I defer to him in all things brew-y. We are both masters of yeast - I bake, he brews, and life is eternally good.)
(Just as an aside, we hauled out the mead carboy at around 9am yesterday. After looking, and smelling, we decided to taste. He siphoned out a good sample, we tasted and tasted. "Hmmm... Not bad..." "Much better than the last time we tasted it." "Is there alcohol left in here, ya think?" "I think there is! Here, have another taste." Is it decadent to be sampling mead at 9oclock of a Sunday morning?)

I ripped out the failed swatch, shifted down a needle size, and cast on again, with one less repeat of the pattern stitch. I've got this much done. Help me now pretend I don't see a rather large mistake on the left side...

I said, we're ignoring that...
*Sigh*
So, if for every repeat of a diamond, I have to rip back half a diamond, how many repeats will I have to knit before
a) I finish the scarf, or
b) I commit hara-kiri with a set of size 00 dpns.

.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Methinks you two had a loverly Sunday morning. :D

pacalaga said...

If it's made with honey and yeast, I call it breakfast.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

But it'll be such a fabulous scarf when you get done knitting, ripping back & knitting. Maybe a worsted weight version?

Laurie said...

Don't people keep telling me that ripping is a part of knitting?? I assume the knitting and the tasting weren't close together in time?

Bullwinkle said...

But ... we like to knit! Think of it as prolonging the joy of a cost-effective hobby :)

Leigh said...

Quality control
Important to keep checking on those fermenting critters.
But, the scarf reminds me of the story about Amish quilters, who, if perchance they got near to the end of a quilt without making a boo-boo would intentionally put a mistake in, because "only god is perfect..."

Cookie said...

With enough mead, none of us would see that slight boo boo. I'm just sayin'...