Sunday, September 6, 2009

Tomatoes' Last Hurrah

That's pretty much it for the tomatoes. Late Blight has done in the vines to the point that we had to pull the rest of the fruit. We've got a few that are still ripening, but I don't hold out much hope.
I've got a big kettleful of sauce bubbling on the stove at the moment. I'll get it canned tomorrow night. Between the rain, cold weather, cloudy skies, and blight, we got nowhere near the yield we normally get. We'll probably have to (*gasp*) buy tomato sauce this year, for the first time in more years than I can remember.
Next year will be better. (That's our Northern Gardeners' Motto. We have to keep believing it, or we'd give up altogether.)
We had a light frost last night- it singed the squash and the beans a little. Not a Big Killer Frost, but not welcome, either. The cucumber plants are now walking around with "The End is Near" signs.

9 comments:

pacalaga said...

I would about kill for a frost right now.

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear, if you had frost last night it means ours is not far away...

Bullwinkle said...

What pacalaga said.

I think you are further north than my sister.... nope, she had frost too. Nevermind.

I gardened today too. I left my tomato vines intace because (despite the local threat of wilt, mine look great) and I've probably got a few more weeks of growing.

But I did not get many roma's this year. No sauce. Pooh.

Cookie said...

Yay!

I would kill for frost, btw. Or a good lasting cooling trend.

Angie said...

Frost?! Is that a bit early? Wow. I'm sorry you're having to *buy* tomato sauce this year. Nice grouping of tomatoes, though, in your photo.

Anna M said...

We weren't frosty but damn close at 34 degrees. I think my jalapeno plants are ready to storm the castle for blankets but for some strange reason the cukes are still growing. Maybe because they are insulated in the tall grass (or hiding and I just didn't find them before).

Diane said...

Brrrr.....

Leigh said...

Phew, we dodged the bullet on that one, though a few squash leaves are looking tatty on the edges. We still have basil and might possibly get a ripe melon or two. Looks like next week the chill might set in. Good weather for stacking firewood, though...

Laurie said...

Can't believe the frost concept so early. Not one here yet, although the tomatoes are blighting their way into oblivion also.