Sunday, September 13, 2009

I wish I'd thought to take pictures...

We had our first workshop for the Transition Caledonia group today - Madman gave a talk on non-hybrid gardening and seed-saving. It was a small, but interested group, with lots of lively discussion. Madman always shines when he's in instructional mode, especially when the subject matter is near and dear to his heart.
Of course, the high point for me was that AnnaMarie and Wes came down south for it. We got to show off our garden, our hoophouse, and our critters. They brought their little Corgis along, who acted like perfect little ladies for the entire visit.
Now, I had not known that Corgis were sheepherding dogs until AnnaMarie told me. (And seriously? I thought she was joking... Those short little legs? Herding sheep? Yeah, right...) She directed me to some videos of Corgi show trials, and sure enough, they are sheepherders!
Though when we tried introducing them to our sheep, I think we would have had dogherding sheep if we had put the dogs in the pen...

4 comments:

Bullwinkle said...

Seed-saving? darn ... wish I could have come, although you were probably too advanced for me!

As if I have nothing else to do ;) I'm trying to figure out late season gardening and saving seeds (or even storing seeds from early spring gardens to the late season sowing.

I've been searching on-line but can't quite figure out who to listen to. (I'm in Zone 7a - got any ideas?)

Norma said...

I love the idea of seed-saving, but I never quite get around to it -- this year is the first year I'm planting my own garlic, and that's a THRILL, I tell ya. And I've got the bean seeds from the Dolloff beans from Leigh that I hope will germinate, because I think I might have pulled them in a little too early. We shall see. And now I've just given you a preview of one of my blog posts that's already written for this week. Oops.

Cookie said...

Sounds like a wonderful talk. I used to do that with cosmos and sweet peas back in the day when I actually gardened. *L*

Corgis can do anything.

Leigh said...

Sorry to have missed you guys and Anne Marie and Wes, but I'm hard core and couldn't miss High Mowing Seed's annual field day - 800 varieties in their display gardens in Wolcott (of all places), and a stroll with their resident breeder through her projects... I was in heaven...