Saturday, March 13, 2021

How is it the middle of March already?

I haven't been getting a lot of sewing done, but it looks like I'm getting even less writing...

The last two weeks have given me one more yellow cake stand for last month's RSC color (I'd cut it out right at the end of the month but didn't get it assembled until February had expired),


and the first two green ones for March.




(Sharp-eyed observers among you may have noticed that I'm flexible on using the RSC color for the background or for the cake stand itself.  I think this gives me a whole lot more variety in my blocks)

My first green Antique Tile block has a real pickled zucchini vibe going on.


(That green and pink batik in the center is probably supposed to be Queen Anne's Lace, but it sure looks like dill to me...)

I dug through my solid greens and found one that I didn't use last year for a postage stamp block.


Sometimes sewing those little squares together is all peaceful and meditative and relaxing, and sometimes it's more "%&*# I dropped another one!  &%$#@ I sewed two solids together!  *&%^%$"  (I won't tell you which this one was, but I will admit that if my mother was still alive I'd be tasting soap right about now)

And then there's been a veritable Glitter Tornado going on here, with all these blocks practically throwing themselves together.




Things have definitely speeded (sped?) up since I figured out a good sewing/pressing plan.  If only it hadn't taken me 47 blocks to work it out...


Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come join the fun!


14 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a great thing about your cakestand blocks - you put the color of the month in the background or in the cakestand! I understand how those postage might need some $%@#! language, since I've made one!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Colorful blocks deserve colorful language when they get naughty.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wonderful blocks, Gayle. Especially with some GREEN in the mix!

Jenny said...

Oh, well done, you have been busy stitching away!

scraphappy said...

Progress is still nice, even it takes 49 blocks to work out a system. So many great blocks so far, and the month is only half over!

Chantal said...

I think the yellow cake stand comes from Hawaii. It'll be a very interesting quilt with blocks coming from all over the world. The Antique Tile block does have some dill in the center. (Never thought of Queen Ann's Lace.) Looks yummy! If you are creative with fabrics, you are creative in the mouth too. One spurs the other one sometimes. But in the end, you got a very nice postage block. You did an AMAZING job with the glitters!! Wow! Kudos to you. ;^)

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Love all your blocks, especially the Glitter ones! I have had that same problem, figuring out the best way of sewing and pressing a block only after making a ton of them. Hey, we learn by doing, right? Have a good week.

Libby in TN said...

Our mothers must have been sisters -- just sayin'.

Cathy said...

I like the zucchini vibe. I think Dill and Queen Ann's lace would look similar if you turn both pink and put them on a lime green background in the middle of an Antique Tile.

I like to say my only vice is %$#@. So I do know the taste of soap. And I made myself a mask with all those symbols on it in black on white fabric. Depending upon my mood when I go out I either wear my $#@! mask or my Snickers mask.

Glad to see you back with Glitter. And those Cake Stands are just too much fun!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Lots of fabulous blocks in this post Gayle. I was just thinking that same thing about the postage blocks I am making too. It is a good thing my sewing room is pretty sound proof :)

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Bonnie said...

What a great bunch of blocks. I think the center looks like dill too! I like the idea of changing the background colors of the blocks. Will consider doing that for my friendship stars. It would really spice up the quilt in the end. Hope you have a quilty week.

MissPat said...

I liked Sharon's comment about colorful language. Boy, is the glitter flying everywhere. You know, like glitter is wont to do. Yes, this year is flying by and who knows why, since we're all mostly still stuck at home, but only for a little longer.
Pat

Sally Trude said...

Not keeping up with sewing and your blog is quite unforgiveable because then others that are not sewing and keeping up with their blogs are left twiddling their thumbs. Also Molly is disappointed that you didn’t show any squirrels.

Ann said...

You are building a lovely collection of blocks. It's been busy around here, too. So many thing to take care of and quilting is taking a bit of a back seat.