Saturday, September 28, 2019

Purple Sand Castles finally make a showing

At last, some purple Sand Castles!


(I wish purple was easier to photograph.  Sigh...)

I'd been trying to make a big stack of blocks in colors that I'd fallen behind with over the summer, then realized that September is almost over and I'd better get with the purple.  There are three more purple blocks cut out and waiting in the bullpen, along with a bunch of blues.  (I managed to skip over both the light and the dark shades of blue)  I still need to dig out my oranges and cut some bits for blocks - how could I have let orange slide by?


Earlier this year I'd kitted up a bunch of blocks for Glitter, so I pulled out some of them just to break up the Sand Castles a bit.


They're a bit too fiddly for leaders/enders, but it's amazing what you can accumulate when the pieces are just lying there next to the machine.


They'll go into their bin with the rest of their Glittery siblings.  Good thing I'm not in a hurry for this quilt - it's more of a marathon project than a sprint.  Those y-seams really slow a person down somehow...



Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come see all the scrappy fun!



16 comments:

Chantal said...

So happy to see a purple Sandcastle and I got treated FOUR purple Sandcastle. WOW! I love these. Some one had her Glitter quilt all done to a top stage and I immediately thought of you and your glitter quilt. Happy to see this one out too. It is so much fun when all you need to do is sew because all the cutting is already done. Great job, Gayle! You're on roll. Enjoy! ;^)

cityquilter grace said...

love that glitter pattern...thinking of doing one scrappy

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I have trouble photographing purple, too - but I see the purple in your Sandcastles blocks, Gayle! Yes, definitely don't forget the orange - it is orange time of year after all! Fun to see your Glitter blocks come out again, too. Great idea to kit them up so you can sew a few whenever you're in the mood!

Cathy said...

Sand Castles and Glitter...sounds like a fairy tale.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love your purple blocks - it is my favorite color. And it is good to see some glitter blocks. It has been a ling time! Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Sally Trude said...

Yes, the purple in the Sandcastle blocks make an excellent backdrop for all of the beautiful orange sparkles.

Louise said...

Hooray for purple! I fell behind on blue and orange, too, so you're not alone :)

grammajudyb said...

Sand castle blocks are on my to do bucket list! Thanks for the inspiration!

Susie H said...

Oh wow! Glitter is really beautiful. Unfortunately I avoid Y-seams like the plague so I'm equally amazed at how wonderful these blocks look! Great job on Sand Castles too!

Libby in TN said...

Purple never photographs well. I SO want to see Glitter finished! Didn't you already do one?

Ann said...

You chose two attractive quilt patterns. What fun to have such different ways to make scrappy quilts.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I just love watching you build quilts!

Magpie Sue said...

Yes indeed, how *did* you let orange slip by?! ;-)
I need to do some cutting so sewing will automatically follow...

Mystic Quilter said...

You seem to have settled on two lovely patterns for your scraps, I have the glitter pattern but have hesitated because of all the small Y seams.

Marly said...

Nice fabric in your sandcastles! I've had enough Y-seams for the moment, so when I start my Glitter, which will be soon, I'll be hand sewing the Y-seams.

KaHolly said...

Pretty ambitious!