Sunday, February 3, 2019

Star Patch is nearing the finish line

My oldest WIP is still chugging along, getting closer and closer to being done.  I've finished all the quilting (by hand, no less) except for the last two rows in the outer borders.  Since I think the lines of quilting will be easier to keep straight if I have a clear edge to work with, I've started applying the binding, then I'll go back and finish the quilting.

I've had this bright stripe set aside for a long time since it contains all the colors in this bright scrappy quilt.


When I started sewing the strips together, I had a moment's pause.  Should I drive myself crazy go to the trouble of matching the stripes?


I tested by folding the strip down to see how much that jog was going to show. 


The answer?  Not much.  And certainly not enough for me to fuss about at this point.
Carrying on, I stitched it in place,


and started the hand stitching.


There's a line of quilting 1/4" from the edge of that green border - the plan is to echo that with a line 1/4" from the binding, then run one more line right down the middle.  The end is in sight!

I've been working on this quilt, off and on, for about 15 years at this point.  It's going to feel really good to finish it!



Linking with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!   Let's all celebrate the scrappy!



15 comments:

Chantal said...

Oh! YES!! The end is near. Whoohoo! I wouldn't have bothered with the matching stripes either. I mean, life exists outside the sewing room ... sometimes. :^D Enjoy! ;^)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I haven't even been quilting that long! I love a good stripe binding, but I sew them end to end rather than the usual diagonal as there is no fret on the non-matchy.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am cheering you on Gayle! Fifteen years on a project takes determination to finish. The striped binding is so much fun. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Libby in TN said...

You can do it!

Vireya said...

Wow! That is an impressive long-term project. Congratulations on nearing the end.

Ann said...

Such pretty binding. It is difficult to actually finish quilts this old. I'm glad you're nearing the end.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW close!! Looking forward to joining you in a happy dance very soon.

Cathy said...

So that's what you've been up to! And are we supposed to match stripes?!!

Congrats to you on moving projects along!!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I can't believe you are hand quilting that! I totally understand why those pioneer women had quilting bees!
It's going to be amazing when it's done! Well done you!
(P.S. I love a good striped binding)

Magpie Sue said...

Oh good for you! That's one quilt you're going to fully enjoy. :-)
I've learned to just sew a straight seam when I use a stripe for binding. That way the joins don't show at all!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Good things take time :)
Look forward to seeing the full quilt, soonish then!

Louise said...

What a great stripe! It makes a wonderful binding, and you're right that the little bit of a jog doesn't show. Can't wait to see it all together, finished!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a great finish this will be, Gayle! I think the striped binding will be perfect for your quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing the finish!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree that close is good enough on that kind of striped binding! And 15 years - wow. Here's to the finish that is getting closer and closer.

Sally Trude said...

I think the jog is wonderful. In fact, I think you need to have a binding pieced every three inches or so...you know...start a new trend.