Saturday, February 23, 2019

Of stars and sand castles

While I haven't managed to post much lately, I have managed to get a bit of sewing done.  Here's a peek at my design wall as of this morning.


You can see my Goosey Temps columns on the far left.  February is trying to catch up with January.  (I'm not going to tell Feb that no matter how hard it tries, it's always going to be shorter than Jan...)

With the addition of these two, I've now got enough yellow Sand Castles to make my heart happy.



And in between the geese and the strings, I've been chugging along with my triangle stars.  I sew triangles together into diamonds, then assemble two diamonds and a background triangle into these units.


Those get sewn together into half blocks,


and then the halves becomes wholes with the addition of corner squares.


Then one star becomes two stars,


and now I've got four completed stars and five more in various stages of finishedness.

My plan (at this moment) (and subject to change) (because I do that) (not that I'm a ditherer or anything) (decisive to the core, that's me) (uh huh) is to stop at nine stars and use leftover triangles to make a border around them.  It looks good in my head - we'll see how well that translates to fabric.
Because sometimes my plans work.  Really!

Linking with soscrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come see all the gorgeous scrappiness!

18 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love those sandcastles every time you show them! They are great in yellow. The star blocks are amazing, too - I bow down to your Y seams! :)

maggie fellow said...

I agree they are great in yellow

Libby in TN said...

Yes, you've been missed! I love the curvilinear look of your stars. You just don't let anything stop you, do you?

Chantal said...

You have a lovely design wall. Lots of blue and yellow surrounded by scrappiness at its best. I'm with Diann; I bow down to your Y seams! Those stars are simply GOOORRRRGEEOUS!! Seriously! You need to show me how, please? What will end February to make it as long as January? Can't wait to see what you'll come up with. Enjoy! ;^)

LA Paylor said...

holy cow! I turn my back and look what you've made! Those sandy did you call them blocks are astounding and the stars are simply the most interesting star block! Well done you!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Those stars are sooooooo cool!

Cathy said...

The Sand Castle blocks are so delicious!!! What fun you’re going to have with them!

Sally Trude said...

Oh dear. I'm heading into quarantine right now to avoid starting those stars. Yes...the quilt world is backwards where contagious individuals wander free and its up to the rest of us to avoid inspiration.

Auntie Em said...

Your sand castle blocks look nice in this month's yellow. I'm really loving your triangle blocks though. Very complicated looking!

chrisknits said...

LOL! I bet your plans always work! And you seem very decisive to me.

Laura said...

Those stars are fabulous and oh, so tempting!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Love those Sandcastle blocks--so fun! I think your plan for the stars is perfect--the triangle border will be a nice touch.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your design wall looks SEW cheerful!!

Louise said...

I REALLY like your triangle stars! Is this your own design? Very cool!

Cathy said...

Keep it up! You will have two gorgeous quilts in no time!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I just saw one of those finished Sand Castle quilts and it was amazing. I am looking forward to seeing yours progress as I like your scrappiness more.

BTW - You need a bigger wall! :)

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving your stars! And love your design wall, so busy & so inspiring!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh wow, just look at your design wall!! Love all three projects you have there, all full of colour and beautifully scrappy.