Or, at least, throw another log on the cabin...
I laid all the finished cabins out yesterday, to see how many I had -
Turns out there were fifty-three.
Since then I've finished a few more, but didn't get another photo. I'd laid them out on my cutting table and I had to gather them back up in order to have room to cut some more logs.
Not that I'm obsessing over tiny log cabins or anything. But I am running low on a couple of log sizes...
My method thus far is to sew a 1" strip to a 1.5" strip of that red polka dot that I'm using for all the block centers, then subcut into 1.5" pieces. No way on earth am I going to cut 1x1.5" pieces and sew them to 1.5" squares. (The neighbors would complain about all the cussing coming from my sewing room, even with the windows closed...)
At first I was then sewing these pieces to a 1" strip and then subcutting (the mile-a-minute technique), but the blocks were coming out a bit too wonky. I think that blocks using wider logs work fine that way, but at this scale I'm better off cutting logs to size and sewing them on individually.
I've been cutting 1" slices off the ends of my pre-cut strips (2", 2.5", etc) but was grumbling to myself about the sizes that I don't normally have on hand - 4" strips, for example. Then I had one of those 'duh' moments when I realized that I could just cut any length off a 2" strip and slice it longways into two 1" strips. Two inch strips I've got aplenty - and cutting more all the time since I need them for my Demented quilt.
Linking with all the other Log Cabin Loonies at Julie's place. Come admire the logs!