Friday, December 18, 2015

Gnawed!

Hurray hurray!  I got all the Ohio stars sewn together today.


And once more, with feet!


Well, a foot, anyway.
Now I can set it aside for a little well-deserved dithering about the borders.  (And a name.  I'm still trying to come up with something involving storms and rainbows and Ohio stars.  "After the Storm"?  "Stormy Ohio"? "We're not in Ohio anymore, Toto"?)   At present it measures 39 x 45, which to me is too big for a wall hanging and too small for a lap quilt.  So, a border or two is going to make it the perfect size.  For something.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with it - I just wanted to join the RSC, and the next thing I knew I had this quilt top.  Odd, right?

Speaking of joining in, clue 4 for Allietare came out today and I managed to get a couple of the knotless-bowtie/funky-hourglass units done.


I have no idea where this quilt is going.  It's a really weird feeling to be working on something without knowing what it's going to look like.  I think I'm starting to see now why people like doing mystery quilts.  It's a bit unbalancing, but in a good way.  We'll see what I think at the end of this whole process.

Oh, the post title?  Well, let me tell you a little story.
Last time my wonderful daughter visited here from Vermont, she brought me a Lake Champlain Chocolate Factory chocolate bar.  Dark chocolate.  One of my Holy Grails of chocolate.  Recently I decided to take it down to the studio with me, grabbed it on the way out the door, dropped it into the pocket on the car door, and forgot about it.  Well, forgot until yesterday, when I remembered to grab it as I was getting out of the car.
However.
Some vile little despicable nasty thieving mouse had found it in the interim and had gnawed right through the wrapper in multiple places and had eaten vast quantities of my chocolate.  My lovely Lake Champlain chocolate.  My. chocolate.  Mine.
I was so mad.  "You damn mouse!  You ruined my chocolate!  You &*%#$((& mouse!"  And I took the chocolate in and threw it away, so now neither one of us had any chocolate.
Damn mouse.
And I thought that was the end of it.
Until I got into the car today, that is.  When I pulled on the seat belt to buckle up, I encountered resistance.  I tugged harder, then harder.  It wasn't like when the belt locks up when the brakes have been applied - it felt like there was something interfering with it.
As it finally freed itself up, I looked back at it to see what the problem was.



WTF?


I guess Mr Mouse decided that if I wasn't going to let him have chocolate, then he'd just have to kill me by gnawing through my seatbelt.
I'd never really thought of mice as vengeful creatures, but this has really opened my eyes!
Chocolate-thieving murderous little monsters, the lot of them, I tell ya.




I'll be linking with So Scrappy for Scrap Happy Saturday!  Come see what we're all doing to wrap up RSC2015!

16 comments:

Sue SA said...

Yikes you sure have vicious mice! Hope you can exterminate him without having to pull the car apart to find the nasty little critter. Nice quilt.

Vireya said...

That's a mean mouse!

Libby in TN said...

Somehow I envisioned your studio in a little shack out back of your house. You have to drive to it? RSC is lovely, BTW. Choosing border(s) will be challenging. Don't even get me started on mice ....

Mo said...

Look up peppermint oil and mice. It's a bit pricey but mice hate the smell of it.

LA Paylor said...

it's a mouse eat mouse world and we just live in it.

names for the quilt. First of all it's not too big for a wall hanging if you stop now but it will make quite a presence. Nothing about ohio because it reads stars not ohio stars IMHO. Falling stars. Star-Storm. Star shower.

scraphappy said...

I just love that you joined into the rainbow scrap challenge and suddenly ended up with a quilt. Just how it is supposed to work! Hope you can find that darned mouse. Shooting stars. Stormy Stars. Wishing Stars. Hmmm..... hope something comes to you.

Sally Trude said...

You joined late and are finishing early. Not sure that's fair. A library patron left chocolate in her car and got a visit from a black bear. Luckily she left the car door open. During a visit he also took a bite out of a library book.

Chantal said...

Oh Gayle so happy you finished your quilt. I agree with Sally though; I think it's kind of unfair lol. Envious I am! So sorry to hear about the mouse. You should check the other seatbelts too.
Unless you're a quilter, nobody knows that this is the OHIO star. To most people it's just A star. So a star-y name would be good. Unless you want something like 'Rainbow Storm' or Storming Rainbow"? Enjoy the naming game. It might just come to you during the holidays. ;^)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that quilt looks great - love it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your quilt glows from within the center. SEW beautiful!!! Good luck deciding on a name.

kmkat said...

Keep that mouse away from the quilt, that's all I can say.

Mystic Quilter said...

Firdst off your quilt - just beautiful - now onto the mouse, can't believe the damage he/she has done to your seat belt - shame about the chocolate. I bought a lovely block of chocolate yesterday (had this one before) - Pear and Manuka Honey and oh so delicious, I am presently on a sugar free diet - figure that one out!

Angie said...

Love your Ohio Stars and glad you joined the RSC! Looking forward to seeing where inspiration takes you next.

PaulaB quilts said...

Congrats on a wonderful finish, a good wall hanging size. Show it off! That mouse committed the moat dastardly crime, eating YOUR special chocolate. Maybe you could tempt him with a hot pepper coated bite and see him run!

Vic in NH said...

OMG! A mouse inside your car gnawing away? I have one running through my kitchen cupboard that refuses to be trapped, a bait-thief! Grrr! the stars are gorgeous, good job!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The rainbows look awesome!
And as for that mouse.... get more cats! (of course, that's my solution to everything, but they really do work for mice!)