Thursday, February 3, 2011

What would be the point of a weekend off if you don't end up with critter pics?

After all the auto angst, it was a smooth trip there and back, with nothing whatsoever exploding. Yay! (If only it wasn't an 8 hour trip. Each way.)

And I promised pictures...

First up, piggies!
I've mentioned a few times that my dad raises pigs. A lot of pigs. (He told me his New Year's resolution this year is not to build another barn. Those of us who know him think this is totally hysterical.)
I tried to make friends with these little cuties, but they weren't having it. I couldn't even tempt them over with corn. Every time I moved, they'd scatter, then inch closer as long as I was perfectly still. Even so, they kept a strict distance between me and them. I was disappointed, since I really wanted to scritch them behind the ears.


Hard to believe that something so small grows up to be something so big...



Anyone who is currently breastfeeding might want to skip the next couple of pictures - they'll give you nightmares. Or maybe you'll want to look, and think about how happy you are that you're human and not swinish...

Yep, that's two layers of piglet goodness.

While I was trying to get closer for a better shot, one of the little piggies panicked and made a noise. Mama heaved herself up to see what was going on. The little ones vanished -

and hid behind her.

But they were way too curious to stay hidden for long.

All these little ones are about a week old. They're just at the point where they've started to run and jump and spin around dancing. I could have watched them all afternoon, but there were other critters to see...

My Wicked Good Stepmother has an alpaca collection. (She started with 2, then suddenly found herself with 6. She's not entirely sure how that happened. She's back down to 5 now, as one of her original ones passed away last fall, but who knows how many she'll have tomorrow.)



And you know me and the chicken pictures...
Here's part of Dad's motley crew -


As you can see, there's plenty of variety in that pen (and I only got about half of them in the picture.)


There's also some molting going on. Poor raggedy looking things...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos -- I LOVE animals pics!

My uncle (half-brother of my stepmother, "uncle" seems right) raised pigs for his entire farming life, > 50 years. He would always exhibit them at the MN state fair. One year he had the champion boar, i.e., the BIGGEST boar. It weighed something like eleventy-seven tons. Seriously, it was the size of a Volkswagon. One of his daughters set up a website for Bob The Pig; this was in the mid-90s when having your own website was a novel and unique achievement.

All this is to say, thanks for the pigs!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

wow that's a lot of little piggies! Were you tempted to add any to your critter collection? or do you already have pigs?

Pat said...

I know (in a small way)how that mama pig feels - When added up I nursed babies for a total of 9 years - but the most was ever 2 at a time :-)
Fun farm pictures!

Dorothy said...

Maybe if you weren't looking at those little piggies as potential bacon they would have gotten closer! So - any alpacas or piggies in your future???

judy said...

Love those little piggies. So curious, and cute!

Bullwinkle said...

My sister raised a pig or two every year. My most vivid image is of a very large sow eagerly trotting over to her, one sight, to get her ears scritched.

I still marvel at pigs.

Diane said...

Wouldn't you like to add an alpaca to your farm to keep your sheep safe? Perhaps your WGS would know where to find you one.

Angie said...

Love the animals, especially the piggie shots! :D Glad you made the trip a-okay!

Lanea said...

Oh, the envy. It hurts.