Sunday, January 3, 2010

There was also a lot of fun

Lest you think the whole trip to my dad's was a disaster, I should share some of the good stuff...

I got to meet the two new alpacas. Dad and Wicked Good Stepmother now have 6 (six!) alpacas. The little guy is Max - he's a runt. Two years old, and looks like he's half-grown. But what he lacks in size, he makes up for in personality.

Here's my grandson (aged 2.5) 'reading' a story to his great-grandpa and the dog. (The dog was a little bewildered at being read to... She finally took refuge in Dad's lap, and little Mr. C followed along with his book, enjoying the larger audience.)


There were piggies to admire:

The boy was a good little helper, come chore-time. Though it takes a long time to fill a trough, a dozen kernels of corn at a time...

And he got to meet a pig up-close. (That's a very alert Great-Grandma hovering over him, ready to whisk him up and out of the way if the pig got grumpy.) Check out the bottom left corner of the picture - you'll see 2 very tiny piglets. My favorite was the pink one with freckles!

Alpacas are big fans of corn, as well.

The Divine Miss L, my granddaughter, stayed in the house - she'd spent a couple of weeks on the farm last summer, so doing chores wasn't near the attraction for her. She had happy Christmas loot to play with, which beat the pants off freezing outdoors.
Meanwhile, little Mr C was being followed by the paparazzi - his grandmother, mother, and aunt were all trooping along behind him with cameras...

6 comments:

Bobbie Wallace said...

The only thing better than new alpacas are baby pigs! Ok, grandkids might be a close second, but I don't have any so I really don't know. I love pigs; my dad always had Hampshires and Chester Whites. We had babies in winter one year (by *accident*) and had to keep them inside by the wood stove each kid slept with one to feed them all night. One of the best Christmases ever!

Erika said...

Aw! The library in town has a program where little kids can read to participating volunteer dogs. The dogs listen without judgment, and the kids really sharpen their reading skills. Pretty cool!

And happy New Year! Sucks about your car, though. I can relate. :-\

Diane said...

Those alpacas have a great range of colors. Hmm, I wonder if my cats would listen if I read to them. Probably not, unless it's Puss in Boots.

Cute grandson. Does his grandmother knit for him?

Cookie said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

Angie said...

Oh you did have some very good fun. He's a cutie! (The grandson, though the little pig is pretty fancy.)

Bullwinkle said...

I'm with Cookie on this one -

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

The whole day looks like fun.