Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fighting those negative temps, one muffin at a time

It's been damn cold up here lately. Temps below zero, with high winds that make the wind chill factor something you don't even want to think about.
On those kind of days, I like to stay indoors and invent ways to stay warm.
So, besides baking a 20+ lb turkey today, I turned this:

into this:
That was one of our wacky delicata pumpkin crosses - which started out green and white, and have turned green and orange in storage.
The muffins are pumpkin muffins with a cream cheese and streusel topping. I found a recipe out on the web and seriously tweaked it.
The picture shows the first dozen muffins. The recipe also made a dozen more. And there was still batter left over when the the cream cheese topping ran out - enough for 5 more muffins which got double streusel in order to use that up. (If I had only known, I might have cut the recipe in half...)
Madman gave them a serious thumbs-up - which is good, because we've got a lot of freakin' muffins...


ETA: OMG! I just tried one, myself. These are ridiculously good. I have to go right now and write down the changes I made before I forget. See ya!

5 comments:

Bullwinkle said...

I make hearty healthy whole grain bread.

You make cream cheese home-grown pumpkin streusel muffins.

Dude wants to live at your house.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

yum I can practically smell those. Recipe?

Diane said...

Doooode. Don't leaving us hanging. Post the recipe already. Can't live another day without cream cheese muffins.

Joansie said...

They do look really yummy. Please share the recipe once you've written it down.

Cookie said...

Yum!