Saturday, October 18, 2008

pile-o'-peppers


pile-o'-peppers
Originally uploaded by mangofeet
Madman picked a pile o' pretty peppers, a pile o' pretty peppers Madman picked...

Last night, with temps predicted in the 20's, we decided to call it quits on the hoophouse. Madman went out and picked all the remaining peppers and tomatoes. The smaller peppers on the left are the bells, the larger ones are our ancho chile peppers. We had really hoped for some of the chiles to turn red, but I think the variety we grew this year needs longer days, or maybe more longer days, in order to fully ripen.
Over the next day or two, we'll be chopping and freezing most of these peppers. Come winter, we'll be able to pull out whatever we need for making supper.

2 comments:

Anna M said...

Heck, with the weather ya'll had this summer I think you are doing well to even get peppers. They love the sun so much and there didn't seem to be much this year.

Gorgeous produce!

Kaberge: said...

Just found your comment that you found me. (shows how much I update). :)

Those are some lovely looking peppers, and that means something coming from me (you know how I feel about those things).

Actually I'm warming up to hot peppers (har har). Me and John have been making a lot of chili, it's become sort of our staple here.