Saturday, June 16, 2018

Awash in a sea of turquoise

I've been spending a lot of quality time with Storm at Sea, or rather (due to the color scheme) Sea of Tranquility, so I've got a whole lotta aqua goin' on.  That puts me in the 'accidental' category for RSC, I think, but I'm totally taking it.

I laid out the flannel sheet that I'm now using as a design wall/floor, then began to play with blocks.
First - the corner that I've already sewn together (because I couldn't wait another moment to start assembling this thing!)


I'd already roughly sorted the blocks into dark, medium, and light, with the intent of putting the darkest ones around the edges and the lightest in the center.  So, here goes with the corners -


and then working toward the middle -


and filling in the in-betweens.


There are a bunch of bits in the center that aren't quite as yellow as they look in the photo, but I'm pulling them anyway as they're just a little too limey to make me happy.   This means I have to make more bits, mostly in a lighter range of the blues, greens, and teals/aquas/turquoises that I'm using for this quilt.



Some of these might not make the cut either, and in any case I'm going to end up with a bunch of block bits left over, so I think another Storm at Sea is in my future.  (Smaller this time, though, and with lots more color!)
Still more components to assemble, lined up here in the general chaos of Totally Demented bits.


Because I am all about the demented, lately!

Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.  Come see all the rainbow fun!
Also linking with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  My other favorite place to spend the weekend!

25 comments:

Libby in TN said...

It will be stunning! I love the gradation from light to dark.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like your gradation layout, too! This is going to be a beautiful quilt, Gayle!

Cathy said...

OMG, I want to be like you when I grow up! A Storm at Sea quilt with color gradation is definitely on my bucket list. I’ve got a whole Pinterest album devoted to them. Your quilt will be absolutely stunning, Gayle!!

gayle said...

generic comment workaround... *sigh*...

Julierose said...

Oh this will be stunning! Love your colors ..I am not surprised you just couldn't wait to see those corners...hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

Oh! Gayle! It's already gorgeous!! Squeeeeaaaallll! I love it. I want one too. Oh! I so want one now. Oh! Thanks for passing the SaS bug to me, lol. There's so many blocks though. Maybe I'll wait until I have something finished. Since when am I reasonable? ;^)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, this quilt is going to be amazing! Love this layout, you did a great job!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

This is looking so-o good!

Magpie Sue said...

Your Sea of Tranquility is looking good. Meanwhile, you and Sally T have got me thinking in a demented sort of way... ;-)

The Joyful Quilter said...

AWESOME layout for your Storm at Sea!! It's going to be a gorgeous quilt.

Jo said...

Love the colour design from dark into light. Very effective

Mari said...

Your storm at sea looks great! I like the fade effect. And the accidental line-up with the RSC is just serendipity! (academicquilter at gmail dot com)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Amazing!

Sally Trude said...

So amazing and beautiful. You might consider Tranquility at Sea as its name...unless you are planning on adding cats to the design process.

Cathy said...

Oh, wonderful layout. Looks like shimmering water. I kind of like the one colorway in the quilt.

And...oh, the HSTs!

Ann said...

Storm at Sea has always been on my to-do list. I love the idea of making it in one color... the first time through. Clever you. It's coming along so well. And thanks for the reminder to pull the ones that don't work instead of barreling ahead.

Angie said...

Storm at Sea is such a great pattern - I'm looking forward to seeing your results!

MissPat said...

This is going to be a gorgeous Storm at Sea. I just took a class (using some very expensive Deb Tucker rulers) making a rainbow Storm at Sea which is about half sewn together. I also made one the traditional way several years ago for a grandson. I love the look, but boy are those diamond blicks hard to get right (even with the very expensive Deb Tucker rulers).
Looking forward to your finish whenever it happens.
Pat

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Oh My! That storm at sea is going to be a stunner! I love what you did with the color placement. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Ivani said...

This pattern is great and your lay out turned it much more interesting. It will be a gorgeous quilt.

Quilter Kathy said...

That was fun to watch you build the layout from the outside in... beautiful!

Louise said...

This is a big step, to have all the pieces together on the design flannel!! Very exciting :)

Mystic Quilter said...

Super - love how you've used the colour here and I can't wait to see it all sewn up!

Kate said...

Oh, what a fun project. A storm at sea is on my bucket list. I love the color fade from the corners to the center.

Cozy Quilts by Linda said...

Who knew scraps could be so beautiful....