Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Four Buckeyes, a Piglet, and a Monkey walk into a bar...

...

...

...


Naw, I can't think of a punchline.


But here are the Buckeye Beauties in brown (and I now have a sudden urge to see how many times I can say 'Brown Buckeye Beauties' before I mess up), and another plaid pig.  The monkey crept in when I wasn't looking, but I let him stay, since he's got some brown triangles.  It's good to humor the monkeys once in a while.


I got a kaleidoscope done, too, except for the corners.  This is the 'tame' version of my two kaleidoscope quilts.  I have an easier time containing myself when I make these blocks.  I really like them, but I don't feel like I'm on a runaway horse like I do when I'm doing the multicolor kaleidoscopes.


Yeah, I'm still doting on that catface fabric.  I might need more...


My computer is having issues at the moment, so my posts might get a little spotty.  Windows is having major issues, and I'm trying to use Linux Mint while we try to recover.  This means I don't have access to all my lovely files and bookmarks, and windows-based software like Picasa, which is what I use for photo editing. 
I discovered that I have Gimp available in Linux, but it's quite a lot more powerful than I need - sort of like using a Saturn V booster rocket to go out to the mailbox.  It took me over half an hour to upload those 2 photos from my camera's SD card, figure out how to crop the kaleidoscope block (which made me despair so much that I didn't even attempt to do anything with the other photo beyond saving it.), then save them as jpegs.  (That took a while to figure out how to do, too.)  I know Gimp is a terrific program and all, and if I was doing artsy-fartsy glamor shots, I'd be all over it. 
But all I want is a quick way to crop and save a photo.  Maybe someday I'll sit down and learn how to do some of the really cool effects (sparkly piglets with rainbow backgrounds!  kaleidoscopes with real kaleicoscopes!), but for the moment, I think I'll stick to piecing quilts and knitting mitts.
Though monkey blocks on a spinning tower of exploding bananas would be intriguing...

7 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Technology is great -- when it works ... You lost me at Windows. (I have so much to learn.) I did manage to figure out how to get on the WIFI at retreat last week, almost broke my arm patting myself on the back.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I don't think there is anything worse than wasting all that quilting time on computer issues. Hope you get it straightened out soon. Your blocks always look so cute!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

If you're looking for quick and dirty photo editing - pixlr.com. Launch the web app and away you go - it's basically photoshop lite. I use it at work because they are too cheap to buy me real programs because I'm not "a real designer" yet I'm still expected to do design work....

Jennie in GA said...

Really like your monkey colors. Of course, the piglet is charming. And I adore that cat fabric! Good luck with your tech issues.

Magpie Sue said...

Why am I not surprised to learn that you have TWO kaleidoscope quilts in process? ;- )

Cathy said...

I work with computer issues all day at work so hate them when at home. I just had to replace my XP with Windows 10 laptop and I've had nothing, nothing, nothing but problems with Windows 10...Office worked for awhile then quit and I had to call support who farted around on my computer for four hours, Photoshop Elements (which I use for photo upload/editing) worked for a while then quit entirely and still doesn't work and I don't have time to screw with it so I downloaded Picasa. Next will probably be Family Tree Maker which I use for genealogy. Arghhhhh. It all used to be so easy.

Cathy said...

P.S. - I love cat face fabric and have had my eye on it at Connecting Threads. It looks great in the Kaleidoscope.