Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Diligence and dithering

Despite all the evidence to the contrary (you know, kaleidoscopes, piglets, buckeyes, and so forth) I really have been applying myself to my main project.
Every day I've been pushing further forward with it.  Here's what it looked like when I left off yesterday.  (You know, to play with kaleidoscopes and piglets, and so forth)


Today I got the rest of the blocks joined in columns, and all the sashing strips are now assembled.  The left and center sections are ready to sew to each other.  A few more long seams and I'll have the center of the top done.

That means it's Border Time!  Let the dithering begin!

The first step will be to resolve all those little stars in the sashing.  I mocked up some of the cream background with blue triangles to see what it would look like.


I think it's way too light -  too much open space that draws the eye right off the edge.

So I grabbed a stack of things and experimented.
First a gold batik that's comparable in value to some of the golds in the stars. 


I kind of like it.  Maybe tone down the brightness a little.

How about a darker gold?


 And maybe with the gold extended beyond the edges of the blue star-frames?


I didn't try any greens because off all the green in the sashing, but on further thought I might experiment with that too.

I also pulled out a striped neutral that's a little darker than the cream background.  (It's slightly darker than it looks in this photo.


Maybe with a gold edge?


I stepped back a little to get some more perspective on it, then decided to call it a day.  I left the neutral in place so that it's what I'll see when I walk through the door next time.  I've found that's usually a good way to tell if something is going to work.


If I start screaming 'Gah!!!  Ick ick ick!' as soon as I see it, it's usually a sign to start over...







13 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This such a pretty quilt! Love the sash setting. I kind of like the darker gold extended setting for the border, but try the green.

Judy said...

Got to admit, I really liked the first border with the light colored fabric. What would happen if you then added the gold and maybe the green you were talking about for a second and third border?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

While you are auditioning...try using the blue from the Sashing. It might look kinda cool. I too was thinking an olive green. But I do like the darker cream. This quilt is lovely!!

Nancy said...

So I first saw this post in feedly. The photos were a little smaller than here on your blog. I actually thought you were auditioning the black around the right side of the quilt -- and I liked it. I thought, wow, that's brave but it sure sets off the stars in the center. And it seemed to go with that one dark blue star on the lower right of the second photo. (I don't think the gold looks so great with the light blue around the stars. Maybe it's too dark? Or bright?)

Maybe you don't like the light because it's so much like the background of the stars? But if the border had that point that the stars have it could work. Maybe. If you chose one color for the point. But gosh, that would be a lot of work! And you're so close to being finished.

There are several things you've done with this quilt that I really, really like. All the centers of the stars are the same. You used the same blue around some of the stars and the same light around some of the stars. And you've kept the sashing going the same direction throughout the whole quilt. I love the variety of the stars and yet the unity created by the other elements.

It's gorgeous quilt! I can't wait to see what you decide.

Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)



Sally Trude said...

I'd like you to try blue too. Or a neutral that matches the center as my second choice. In any case, your quilt is a true star!

Cathy said...

No suggestions from me! I'm usually borderless!

I agree with Sally...definitely a true star!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful quilt--I'm not crazy about the gold--I like the idea of trying a blue or green

Chantal said...

Oh that's the moment I dread; audition for borders! I always second guess myself so I won't try to help you in any bits. Just here to wish you good luck with your decision.

Jennie in GA said...

So far, I like the darker neutral with maybe the gold and blue around it. The border, like you said, has a lot of empty space, so it is a tough decision. It is a stunning quilt, and I feel sure it will call you to make the right decision. In the meantime, have fun in the pig pen;-)

Julierose said...

You know, the gold doesn't do it for me either! Perhaps a darker blue--borders are always hard for me--back and forth I go...I am sure what you come up with will turn out to be lovely...such a gorgeous quilt hugs, Julierose

audrey said...

What a fun border to play with! I love that darker cream but can see you like the gold too. What about a super light colored gold?

Kimberly Smith said...

I think the gold 'solids' are too strong, and the neutral is very bland and ho-hum. I offer only criticism and no solutions - lol. Audition some more?

kmkat said...

omg, that quilt is fabulous! It is an heirloom-to-be, no doubt about it. Seeing it in the [mostly] whole reveals its beauty.

I do not care for either of the golds, but it is difficult to judge unless you show us a photo of the whole thing like you did with the darker cream. I'd kinda like to see you try medium or light green, too.

What fun!