Saturday, November 24, 2018

A Tale of Two Finishes

That's right - I finished TWO quilts this month.  That's a new personal best - I typically don't finish two quilts in a YEAR!
Y'all knew I was pushing to finish On Ringo Lake - last year's Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt, but I had another quilt in motion, too.  I had to wait to brag on tell you about it until after it had been presented.

Long Time Gone!


I had wanted to give it to my youngest daughter (the one who convinced me how wonderful a color orange is) for Christmas, but I just couldn't wait.  Nothing wrong with an early gift, right?
(And now as I look at that quilt, I have a crazy yen to make another one.  Such a lot of fun!)

We had planned to take photos this afternoon, before she headed out for home, but we hadn't planned on the rain.  So here we are squeezed up on the porch (my other daughter is hiding behind the quilt) trying to get a pic or two without getting wet.

Here's On Ringo Lake being unfurled -


and here it is all bound, sealed and delivered.


The last stitch of the binding went in this morning so I could give it to my stepmom for her birthday.

Two finishes means I can start four new quilts, right?

One will be started tomorrow for sure.  Easy peasy four-patches for Good Fortune are on the agenda.
Now what three other projects can I choose?


Since these quilts are both scrappy magic, I'm linking with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come see all the scrappy fun!

24 comments:

audrey said...

Oh, you are having entirely too much fun! I LOVE the Ringo Lake quilt so much. The colors are so vibrant and sparky. That last border fabric is perfection! And your Long Time Gone is exactly what a quilt should be, scrappy and fun. Lots to smile about here and of course it means you can start four new ones. Isn't that how it always works? lol

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Two lovely finishes! And both very eye catching! I really love all the scrappy colour and detail in your 'longtimegone' quilt. Your start-to-finish-ratio is inspiring, and I'm looking forward to seeing a few new projects in the works soon.

Jo said...

Good on you. On RINGO Lake border fabric matches perfectly. I do love the orange in your daughters quilt. It brightens it so much. A good way to use scrap blocks and join them all together. Get ready GOOD FORTUNE.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I sit in awe! I may finish quilts quicker than you do... but yours are insanely complex and mind-bogglingly amazing! I bow down to your mastery!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh my goodness - Long Time Gone is a scrappy masterpiece! I would have had a hard time waiting any longer to gift it, too. Congratulations, Gayle! Finishing is a really good feeling, isn't it?

kmkat said...

I love Long Time Gone! What a clever pattern -- sort of a crazy quilt vibe.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wowsers!!! Two fabulous (!!!!) finishes - mega congratulations.

Kate said...

Two bright and beautiful finishes! Wow! Looking forward to seeing what you start next.

Cathy said...

WOW and WOW! So that's what you've been working on. Congrats on two beauties. And, yes, finishes come with reward bonus points so use your reward card on new starts. Can't wait to see what they will be.

And you've almost convinced me that orange is a good thing!

Laura said...

Wow! Those finishes are worth the wait! Love them both!

Louise said...

Woo hoo! Two GORGEOUS finishes! Those are big, complicated quilts and you did a wonderful job on them. You have my permission to start four more :) Congratulations!

Chantal said...

Standing ovation! Bravo! Amazing! There's so many things to congratulate you on in this post. I am soooooo in love with Long Time Gone. All the different blocks, the scrappiness, the orange "sashing", everything is awesome. Congratulations on keeping your progress on this quilt a little secret. By the look of the smile on your daughter's face I gather she loves it too. Congratulations for finishing On Ringo Lakes. You did it! You wanted to finish it before starting the new mystery quilt and you achieved your goal. And a double congratulations on finishing two quilts in one month. Just AAWWWWEEESome! ;^)

MissPat said...

Interesting math calculation. Finish two, start four. Since Good Fortune is one, I'm curious to see what 2,3, and 4 will be. Great job on both. Now, where are those monkeys?
Pat

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Congrats on your finishes--they are both wonderful! If the stars align, I may get a second one quilted next week. I'm trying to avoid Good Fortune, but when everyone starts posting their progress, I have a feeling I may cave. Good luck with your four patches!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Two finishes! That should earn a bonus project. Congratulations on your lovely finishes. Have fun deciding upon your next new projects. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Angie said...

Wow - two finishes - way to go! Love the results! Long Time Gone DOES look like fun!

Libby in TN said...

Both quilts are OUTSTANDING! I hope the recipients appreciate all the work that goes went into them.

Ann said...

I love the colors you used for Ringo Lake. How fun to have two finishes this close to Christmas. They can start enjoying them now plus they'll be in all the Christmas day photos. Congratulations.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on TWO fabulous finishes!!!

Vireya said...

Beautiful finishes!

QuiltGranma said...

two beautiful finishes!

SandraC said...

Two beautiful quilts!! I applaud you on the Long Time Gone....I didn't last long for that one.

Magpie Sue said...

Congratulations on the two finishes!!! I absolutely love Long Time Gone; might have to try something like that soon myself. ;-)

Mystic Quilter said...

Congratulations on these two fantastic quilt finishes! I bought the Long Time Gone pattern but chickened out!!