Sunday, October 21, 2018

UFOs trying to be WIPs

I've been watching my friend Chantal diligently working on her Challenge 365 quilt blocks and envying her progress.
It finally dawned on me that I'd be making progress, too, if I got off my derriere and actually worked on my blocks...
Wading back through photos and blog posts, I decided that the last block I had made was for May 30.  One more block finished May -


and then I started June in motion.




I'm making this quilt in blues, reds, and browns only - a definite departure from my usual color scheme of chaotic rainbows.   I'm trying to decide if this exercise in control is character-developing or crazy-making.  (I keep having to spat my own hand when I reach for the oranges and purples.)

And another semi-long-lost project called for some attention, too.  On Ringo Lake (last year's Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt) was last seen back in February, duking it out with Burgoyne Surrounded.


Burgoyne kicked Ringo's butt and Ringo ended up rolled up in a ball and abandoned set aside.  Burgoyne is now a flimsy (sort of - it still lacks a border) (but I have a plan!) and now Ringo is clamoring for a turn.  Fair's fair, after all.
So I've pulled out the bin of component parts that I stitched up last winter and now I'm figuring how many blocks I want to put together.
With the next mystery getting close to starting, I'd feel a lot better if I got this quilt at least to flimsy stage. 
Even if it's just a lap quilt.  Finished is finished, right?

Linking with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap, because scrappy is my life!  Come join the fun!

21 comments:

Chantal said...

Welcome back to the 365 Challenge. I so love your June first block. Very well played with the fabric. My ORL is in worse shape than yours. Sigh! Don't know if I will give Bonnie's next mystery quilt a try. It'll depend on the colors I guess. Enjoy the mini blocks challenge. ;^)
P.S. Thanks for the plug. :^D

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like your blues, reds, and browns for the 365 challenge! That is definitely a challenging thing for me to do, too, when sewing with my scraps. Looks like you're making progress on all of those WiPs!

Mary R. said...

Finished is definitely finished. I love the peachy/orange in your blocks.

Sue SA said...

Flimsy finish is good, very very good, in my book!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

more fantastic new blocks!

Cathy said...

Wow, you are moving right along on lots of things. Good for you. Looks like you will have a pile of flimsies soon. I don't even remember your 365 Challenge. Nice blocks. I also find it difficult to keep to a limited color palette and not use every color in the rainbow. Nice to see BS out and about again too.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What's wrong with lap quilts ?!?!?! 48 x 64 is my preferred size since no one needs a quilt for their bed these days. Perfect size for the recliner or over our legs on the couch when watching tv . . . and so YES, they do absolutely count!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is great to see your 365 quilt blocks again. You are making great progress on a number of projects. When I get motivated, I have to tell myself to "put on those blinders and sew like the wind". But then I get inspired to start something new. But progress is progress!

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

Great job, reaching waaaay back to bring the 365 blocks forward! It reminds me that my scrappy triangles have fallen into a black hole, along with my Ringo Lake. Keep up the good work!

Julierose said...

Lap quilts are my favorite size to work with; nice blocks...hugs, Julierose

Sally Trude said...

I thought of you when Bonnie Hunter demonstrated twirling seams on her recent quilt cam. And I am impressed that you are still working on 365. I dropped out after a month!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Finished is finished, no matter the size!! I've worked on 4 BH Mysteries now and haven't completed ONE!! In my defense, Grand Illusion is ready to be loaded on the quilting frame. If I would just do that, quilt and bind, it would be done!! Sigh... SEW many other projects.

Jo said...

Oh wow .. cleaning out the WIPs... I'm taking my On RINGO Lake. to retreat with me to hopefully get some more done.
I haven't looked at it in months...

Nann said...

Yes, SO much can get done when we log off and step away from the computer.... Gentleman Johnny vs. Ringo. Remember that Bonnie will reveal the colorway for the 2018 mystery on Halloween and the race, er the fun begins on Thanksgiving.

Mystic Quilter said...

I am so pleased to see you're back stitching these two quilt tops, looking forward to seeing the finish - no pressure!!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your 365 quilt blocks look great! Sometimes I find a lap quilt or throw is just the perfect solution, you can play with colour combos, test out the pattern, try new techniques, be creative and get a result!

karenbbsnow said...

Almost time for another Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt to be released. Love your Ringo Lake, I have yet to tackle a Bonnie Hunter pattern, but it's on my Quilting Bucket List.

audrey said...

Lovely, lovely color combination. Keep after it! It's gonna look amazing!:)

QuiltGranma said...

Great job, glad you are making progress! Any progress is always good. I too am (slowly) working on finishing to flimsy stage my UFO's. Not being a blogger, I do not have the push to get a lot done to report so it can take me a LONG time, but I want to get them to quit nagging me, so am plugging away at them.

Kate said...

Keeping up with stitch alongs is always a challenge. Sounds like you are moving in the right direction with all your UFO/WIPS. Good luck!

Ann said...

They are all lovely projects so it's good they are progressing again. I want to make a Burgoyne Surrounded. It's been on the wish list for decades.